Stuck fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read the project on how to change a fuel filter got all the right tools also. I am only able to release the engine side of the filter the gas tank side is stuck looks like 1 of the holding pins is bent over in the connector how do I fix this problem.

That doesn't sound good...

But i don't think it is bent, IT holds from the out side..

YOU need to push the fuel line to the filter as if your putting it back on and twist it a little..

THEN make sure you do not pull on the line or the filter when you insert the tool...

YOU must then hold the fuel line , the filter together, and then push the tool into the line, THEN pull the tool and the line away from the fuel filter. IT will stop moving, THEN hold the filter and the line, remove the tool and the line will slide off...

Hope this helps.

Todd Z

I have had a few customers vehicles where the spring retainer could not clear even once the tool was inserted. I used a pick-tool and pushed it over the lip in the line with some pressure applied to the line, like I was pulling it apart. Once the bad one was over the lip, I worked my way around until I got the last one. This does work, but it is a HUGE hassle.