Stuck in 4wdLow Bummer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john main

Reaction score
Yikes! While fixing a rear window that was hanging up when actuated, I boneheadedly left the ignition on for 8hrs. This killed my fairly new Optima battery. After recharging the battery overnight it seemed that all was well...not. It is now stuck in 4wd low range. From earlier post on this site it apears that the 4wd module fails when batteries go dead. Anyone have any ideas on how to get into 2wd? :wacko:

How is that possible? Wouldn't installing a new battery be the same as a battery going dead?

did you put it into neutral and step on the brake then put it into 2wd

First time last winter I went into 4WD Hi andout sevral times. Then into 4WD Low and could not get it out.

Dumb old me :eek: drove back to town very slowly because I didn't know how fast I could go in 4WD low. Stopped at dealer on way home. :lol: He did as above. Did I ever feel dumb.:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys...yep I tried the neutral/foot on the brake procedure and unwinding the transfer case (this is a must with my old jeep) nothing helps. Too bad there isn't an aftermarket manual shift linkage available. Or is there? Went to the local Ford dealer and spent $188 including tax for a new unreliable electronic part. Can't really complain because except for normal maintenance this is the only problem we have had, and we use it off road alot.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: Took 3 days for the dealer to get module. They did not think it was the problem and told me special order electrical part are not returnable. So I was very glad when I hooked it up and the transfer case functioned normally again. Now I have a $188 paper wieght (old part).