Suggestions for winter???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hasty

Reaction score
With winter coming up, I was wondering how well I can expect my ST to perform on ice and in the snow. I am getting ready to put a new set of BFG AT's on it. Do I need to put any weight in the back? If so, how much and what do you suggest using?

Is it a 4x4 or 2x4? 2x4 it wouldn't hurt to put alittle weight in the back. I have a 4x4 and here in Pa, haven't had much trouble in the winter. i had Mich's on ine last year that were worn pretty bad and not to many slips. Got new shoes and it was easy going from there on. Had some deep stuff to go through and put it in 4x4 and never spun a tire. Do whatever makes you comfortable. That way you will feel safe driving. But the ST can handle it.;)

Then really, with the new treads, you should be fine. You can still put some wieght in the back if you want, but I don't, it's personal preference. If it would make you feel safer, then do it. I have a pretty good incline to get up in my driveway and it's not cleared of snow and ice when I get home. (I work 3-11PM and my wife doesn't clear it) I use 4x4 and never had any problem except once when the rear kicked around on me. That was when I got new shoes for the ST. I had a Toyota 4x4 before the ST and I feel safer in the ST than I did in the Toy. I had the light a**end of the Toy come around quite a few times. I pretty much had to go in 4x4 almost any time the road had snow on it. Now with the ST, I take it in and out when I feel it nessassary.;)

thats the combo I have (the BF;s that is) and they are amazing in the snow. I will never put a different tire on any truck i own.

I drove through Indiana a couple of Christmases ago when they had the two foot of snow in the Evansville area. I had Revos on my truck then and it drove well, but I also had the bed full of cargo (luggage, Christmas boxes, etc.) from my OKC - LEX trip. It appears there was freezing rain before the snow, because there was a sheet of ice under it. I used 4WD as an extra measure of safety, because the Indiana Highway Department didn't even bring snow plows out until after the Christmas weekend was over. They were totally negligent. I'd use whatever measures necessary to make sure you are safe on their roads.

I'm driving a 4x2 and I've had no problems in New Hampshire snow. I put weight in the back, last year I had 11000 miles on the crappy michelens, this year I'm using weight and studded coopers.

I have been very happy with how mine goes in the snow (4x4 w/stock Good Years before and Bridgestone Duelers now). I think the weight balance is better on the ST than a typical truck. I've driven around on unplowed roads with >1' of snow with no problems at all. I can't imagine you would need to add any weight.

I throw a couple of bags of the cheap kitty litter in the back for some extra weight. Then in spring I bring the bags inside so my girlfriend can use it for her cats...