Summit Racing Autolite XP Iridium Plugs Any Good For My Trac ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter Edders

Reaction score
Hello To All,

I have been lurking around this site since 2001 but I don't post too much. Summit racing has a search by vehicle option and it came up with some nice items for my 2001 ST. I have been spending some time with it because my neighbor detailed it for me and I am all in love with her again. With 82,000 miles on my truck she still looks as good as the day I bought her. And that is in Chicago area driving. The only really ugly thing on my truck is the running boards are starting to rust.

Well enough about that. I've probably waited too long but I need to change my spark plugs. I ordered a new set of Taylor wires and these plugs from Summit. I'm thinking now I made a mistake because I did not ask the experts on this site first. My questions are ;

Are these plugs worth the money ?

Are they OK for my Trac ?

What should the gap be ?

Is the gap based on the plug or the system it is installed in ?

Anyway, the plugs are on their way with my free hat, but the wires are on backorder until September 9th. Any advice would be appreciated while I'm waiting.:rolleyes:

Link to the plugs,

Are these plugs worth the money ?

For the Sport trac probably not, I would stay with motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum plugs...

Are they OK for my Trac ?

Technically yes

What should the gap be ?

.054 ( sorry...)

Is the gap based on the plug or the system it is installed in ?

based on the engine, compression, fuel and ignition system.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get them at any part store...If you live near an OReilly auto parts. We usually carry them..if not can have them quickly!!

I should have shopped around but I was so excited to buy something for my St I lost my mind. The even funnier part is, I was half asleep when I ordered them and I ordered 8. I guess I was dreaming I had a V8.:wacko:

For anyone interested in comparison shopping they cost me $7.95 each plus shipping. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for something that lasts so long.

You can be the first to try and let us all know how they are.

You'll need all 8, in case you lose, bang or drop 1 or 2 plugs while installing.

I bought the e3 sparkplugs for mine a month ago. Of course you can't tell much of a difference except under a load. But I am pleased with them. I bought them for 5.80 a piece._ but like they say its what makes you feel better is what matters._Ron

Walter,

Did you mean you were in love with your 'Trac again, or your neighbor, if she is a she!!!

(Reason I say this, with respect, is the last few really good detailers, that I knew were

women!). Bad joke, I know...

As far as the spark plugs go, I would think, from experience, that an Autolite Platinum

plug would be perfect for most of our 'Tracs. I feel Autolite makes a really good plug, as

I have ran them in several G.M. vehicles that I have owned, when I could find a cross-

reference #. Never had a problem!

Oh, and by the way... I think Iridium is the By-Product of Dilithium Crystals used to power

the U.S.S. Enterprise, combined with the Half-Life Remnants of the Plutonium, used

to power the Jupiter ll !!! I'm not comfortable with it, either!:D;)

Iridium is an element, and is the most corrosion-resistant metal known. More information is at the link below.

Iridium is also the name brand for a satellite phone company. My organization has several which are used frequently, since they provide worldwide coverage.

tracnblack

1. Unfortunately, my detailer is a short grey haired guy who is currently unemployed - not in love with him.

2. Don't ask me how I know my truck is a she - it's personal ;)

NelsonOKC

Thanks for the info. The Iridium sounds like some cool stuff. I read more about the element and it is in something called the Platinum Group. I also read more about the Autolite Iridium plugs and they have an Iridium "enhanced" center electrode with a Platinum side wire. Sounds pretty much like a standard Platinum plug with som Iridium mixed in the center electrode.