Super Chip vs XCAL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64117

Reaction score
What is the difference?

Since there isnt much activity on the forum, i figured i keep the guru's busy with helping the "special child" out with the good stuff.:D

the chip actually is put into the PCM, the xcal flashes the PCM via the OBDII port...the chip allows you to switch between tunes quickly, the XCal2 has more features (datalogging, both on device and via laptop...read/clear CEL codes) plus the ability of getting tunes via email if needed...really, the Xcal2 is the better deal

Yup, the Xcal is the way to go....

But with recent issues it may be hard to find a good tune for the ST right now..

Todd Z

I haven't seen any recent posts about the Super Chip, but I seem to recall they had to be held in place with duct tape for some reason. Otherwise they would work their way loose and the truck wouldn't run. Anyone else remember that, or am I just getting old? :unsure:

I used to have a Superchip, never came loose. I now have an XCal, would take the XCal over the Superchip any day of the week.

The chips can work themselves loose if you don't have something in place to keep it from doing so (one of the other reasons the flasher is better then the chip)