SuperCharger or Turbo Charger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
First has anyone heard of a Turbo Charged ST, and if so who did it, and how did it work.

2nd. has anyone had good experience with the supercharger for the ST yet?

Never heard of a turbo'd ST, but I have heard of turbo'd 4.0s, although not the SOHC 4.0. In theory, it wouldn't be that hard, the hardest bit would be finding room for the turbo and piping. The required larger fuel injectors (and possibly fuel pump) would require a new computer flash, no big deal really.

I'd like to see a turbo ST, but a supercharger is much more matched to the SOHC 4.0 and the ST in general.

Hey Tiger, what would you think of a supercharged ST running a 100shot? :D

Oh, not to mention forged internals with heads and cams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd think that its a lot of money and work on an engine in the wrong vehicle.

I'm not a big fan of cheater juice, although in the case of supercharging, it could be used more as a cooler then a stand-alone power adder.

Oh, and I think I'd still take you. Not with the Ranger, but with the '66...may not have as much power, but I'm not gonna be slacking and I got alot less weight....

I know of 1 turbo charged 4.0 SOHC Sport (not Trac) and he is putting down some nice #'s I'll try to find a link and I also have some videos of it at the track will post more when I find.

Edit. None of the videos work anymore and neither does the photo's but he was pulling

[email protected] IN THE 1/8TH @6PSI

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

There is a company that makes a rear mounted turbo-charger. They mount the turbo way back by the rail pipes, depending on where there is room on each specific vehicle. Even the cone style air filter is fitted under the rear of the vehicle. The net results is lots of extra HP and they don't require an intercooler. This lowers underhood temperatures and is much easier to fit under the vehicle than in the engine compartment.

There is little or no tubo lag caused by waiting for the turbo to come up to speed. The turbo always gets full exhaust pressure and the boost limit is controlled by dumping the pressure on the intake side.

I don't recall the name of the company that makes these remotely located turbos nor do I know if they make a kit that fits or can be made to fit a Sport Trac or Explorer.

...Rich

I believe you're thinking of the Squires Turbo System, or STS, Rich. No they don't make one for the ST, but that is the same turbo that Explorer is running in the above link. I have sent quite a few messages to that guy and we've shared some info. Basically he has around $6k in his one-off setup. IMO, it would be cheaper, easier, and again IMO sound better. I like my exhaust and wouldn't want it muffled by a turbo.

Explorer Express makes a supercharger kit. Lotsa $$$ and some people have had issues with it. One of the magazines put one on a Ranger though.

I think it'd take a bit more then 6 grand to get a crate motor and actually get it to work. The cheapest crate motor (from Summit Racing) is $3500 from Ford (a 345 HP 302), but you still need to convert it to EFI, a V8 computer and wiring, cooling system, either a new V8 tranny or a conversion bellhousing (I don't think the stock ST tranny bolts up to the 302, although I might be wrong...think I am actually), move the firewall, engine mounts, and other stuff.

Could you fit a V8 in for under 6 grand? Yes, you can, but you'd have to get a used engine, rebuild it, and do just about all the work yourself or have a good buddy who would do it for cheap or free. Emissions, inspections, laws and regulations, and computers can make it difficult to really do some stuff these days.

You know, about those STS and other rear mounted turbos, I'm not convinced they are all that good, and certainly not better then a traditional engine compartment mounted turbo. For small turbos, it may not be so bad, as the piping is small; but step up to medium and large sized turbos (or two) and a rear mount just doesn't make sense. Maybe thats my flawed thinking in this issue, I want a big turbo with a big FMIC matched to a 6-speed. There isn't alot of room underneath most cars and trucks to mount larger pipes. On the ST for instance, you can't run true dual exhaust because of the lack of room, so where would a second pipe for the turbo outlet go? About the only other aftermarket tuner that comes to mind that hasn't used engine local turbos is Lingenfelter, with their twin-turbo Vette.

I call the ST the wrong vehicle for that much power because the platform never really was meant to see that much power, and it can be dangerous. I don't think I'd want that much power in a truck as high as the ST, or with its outdated suspension system. That's just me.

The reason for the question is i have a guy that is willing to make me a turbo system for the ST, he doesn't have a price yet, but im sure im lookin around 5000 to 6000. Ah the fun of the st but the dreams of a speedster

Jeff C,

Yes it was STS turbo systems. What I read indicated that their kits started at around $3800. I know that some of their kits are dual turbo's which would make them more expensive but i think $6K is probably too much.

If you had the tools and fabrication skills, it would not be too difficult to make your own remote turbo kit. I would bet that a good muffler shop with a mandrel bender could make all the custom bent 3" pipe you would need for a few hundred dollarsneed and you would only need to run the stainless steel oil lines. The turbo would only cost about $2000-$2500.

...Rich