Supercharger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Cook

Reaction score
Hey guys ive been really tryn to sell my 05 Sport Trac but when it comes down to it i need a truck. So i was wondering with about 3500 to spend is a supercharger a good way to go? I have a completely stock truck with 68k miles on it. Will i be able to put one on or do i need alot more stuff so it can handle that? Does anyone on here have on in a gen1 sport trac? Dyno Numbers? Thanks, Jordan

Might get 285 to the wheels with The EE M90, but will take alot more than 3500 bux

we did my sons 02 trac with the EE charger (pre HTpistons), lentech tranny, the whole maryann, was about 8 grand with us doing the work.

Still popped a rod a couple mos down the road, not worth the expense and effort IMO

i just went out a bought a new k/n air filter and can tell a little bit of a different pitch when full throttle and slighty more acceleration

Hi there I have 2003 with a supercharger and makes the truck unbelievable. I lot of people complain but properly set up they work great. And I am running 20" wheels and no complaints. J

If installed and tuned right, you shouldn't have a problem there are a couple of people here who have superchargers with no problems. the problems come when you start trying to tune the motor after the supercharger ie. more boost via smaller pulley etc. If I were to get one I would throw mine on the dyno to fine tune the timing, a/f etc. but thats me.

I think if you have reasonable mechanical ability and a good set of tools, you should be able to install the Explorer Express supercharger yourself. But for God's sake just leave it alone and put it on the way it comes. I would advise a cat-back exhaust and maybe headers to take full advantage.

I am not aware of any members here who have installed a supercharger on their 4.0L SOHC V6 without resulting in major engine damage. Also, I don't know of anyone who runs Nitrous who has not encounted engine damage, and nitrous is ususally fairly safe if you don't try to exceed 75HP on a stock engine.

My own personal opinion is that a skupercharge or turbo charger should not be used on any factory stock engine with compression rations 9:1 or higher, and I don't think the Ford 4.0L V6 has a very sturdy bottom end to take that kind of pressure.

...Rich

The main problem with these engines and forced induction is after mid,02 ford started using H.T pistons (thats why the H.P went from 205 to 210).

They are extreamly brittle, you ping them you crack them.

With a perfect tune and 5 lbs of boost, your fine, do like we did, go with a smaller pully and run 8 lbs, your dawgmeat.

That true paul, in OEM form

Bud of mine has an 06 stang sixer (same engine, but built)

Stegmeyer ported eaton at 12 lbs boost and a 100 shot spray, he makes 480 at the wheels.

car is awesome.

I think there's a member here vigilantes (sp?) who has had a super charger on his truck for quite awhile and I think he's making 275-285 at the wheels. He also spent 8 hrs on the dyno to get it tuned right. IIRC

Haven't been online for a bit, as for boast I am running about 7lbs with no problem with no detentions. At the end that is what really kills the engine. I am running 92 octane. The power is nice, but what I really like is the sound. The only thing to note is when the battery is unplugged, and the computer has to relearn, the transmission has trouble shifting for a couple of hours, so I usually take it easy, and if its having trouble shifting let go of the gas a little then then it shifts, usually I have to erase any error codes that come up. After it relearns the shifting is unbelievable smooth, almost don't know its shifting unless you give it. I think what kills the engine is the people that only know how to drive in 2 speeds, stop and go. Then the engines gives. But any performance engine if you drive like that constantly will break too.

Can you post some pictures of your ST with the supercharger installed?

Did you get it from Explorer Express?

Did you do custom tunes for it after installing the supercharger?

What other performance mods (intake, throttle body, exhaust, pulleys, ingnition, etc.) have you installed?

I have a E.E. supercharger installed on my '03 XLT SPort Trac with 76000 miles on it without any issues whatsoever. It was installed at 50000 miles on it. The main thing though is that you should have a good tune on it otherwise you will be in a lot of problems that may cause eventual engine failure. Dynotuned to pumpout 251.4 RWHP and 264.4 RWTQ at 8lbs of boost.

Hello Coolturbog,

That's odd that you would throw error codes from time to time. Did you have that dynotuned of you have a canned tuned? I used to have significant idling and tranny shift problems with my canned tuned which made me go with a custom Dynotune.

Bill look at it this way, The sport trac Pre Dyno was around 180 RWHP, The 210 HP rating of the 1.0 SOHC Cologne engine is rated at the flywheel. 180 tp 251 is still a significant power adder and it's not the HP that you're looking at. It's the amount of tourque this thing gives out. For me it was worth it because the eaton blower with the components that goes with the E. E. kit is 100% solid. Never had issues especially after I had it dynotuned. 26000 miles later, I am still glad I did it.

Bill, you are entitled to your own opinion. After all you could always go for Nitrous if you want too. Or probably you could drive a lighter vehicle with a more powerful engine if you have that need for speed. :) You asked for my opinion for what's it worth? Well I told you so and you would never understand my point of view until you make the same move. Hmmm... not to be a troublemaker but just wanted an educated post here based on experience. Have a good evening Bill.

Latest posts