Superchip Upgrade experiences?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
I am looking into adding a bit more power to my ST. I have done the basics with a cold air intake, catback exhaust, headers and y-pipe. I looked at the review on the Superchips upgrade and there seems to be a mixed review on this product.

About 70% say its awesome and worth it, and the other 30% say it was terrible and their cars broke down. It seemed as tho they would just "shut off" after installing the chip. Is this die to the PATS system? if so, I have a remote starter that has the transponder box which I think could solve that issue.

Any advice/opinions? I am talking about the the superchip/jet ecu upgrade since it is available at my local performance shop and I can get it for a good price.

The people who's "shut off" may have messed up while loading the flash, or installing the chip. If you go the chip route, and it comes loose, your vehicle will shut down. With the flasher from WFoy, this is not a problem at all, since you re-flash the computer via the port underneath the dash.

I would advise against the chip, having had one. It's just not as flexible as the flasher.

I had one of the "chip" breakdowns.. Got stuck on I95 in CT....

Get the hand held Flasher from www.hypillauto.com

Todd Z

Usually "shut-off after installing the chip" is due to poor cleaning of the contacts on the back of the pcm. This is a somewhat common problem with any chip, if you don't clean properly. I have had a chip for 2 years with no problems or shut-off. Clean the terminal properly and use duct tape to hold the chip in place. You'll be good to go.

I would go the flasher route with WFoy...No messing with conections and wiring...You can flash it back to factory settings at any time, without having to take anything apart.

$370 for the ECT/II and you also have a code reader...:)

What is the WFoy? It does sound like the better option....

Spaceman Spiff - Did you notice any difference with your chip upgrade?

www.hypillauto.com

This is his web site, he is a member here and has a Trac himself and knows how to performance tune them...

Yeah, you want power, Wayne is the guy to see. Here's a slip from the track with my ST on Wayne's tune.

[Broken External Image]:

Which one are you? Left or Right? I can see the 15sec run being an ST with a lot of mods but 13's is a bit nuts. What mods do you have?

A trac can run 13s if it's supercharged. ;)

I'm with everyone else on this subject, get the tuner from wayne, you WON'T be disappointed. The tuner was the single best purchase I have made for my trac.

decent increase with a 87 oct.r performance program, but a big difference with the 92-93 oct. program. Either route will make you happy, but the flasher will give you more options.

Volant CAI, y-pipe, straight-piped exhaust, and a flasher from Wayne. I'm hoping for some underdrive pulleys and a new MAFS this X-mas though.