Suspension lift choice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie Oh

Reaction score
hey everyone, i was told for a while that only superlift makes a pre fabricated lift for the sport trac's suspension, given that they were so similar to the rangers and explorers however, i found this hard to believe. I just recently came up with this in my search result...

http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/8/2/

I have a basic knowledge of suspension lifts, and was wondering does anyone have any input with this option as oppose to the superlift suspension lift?

Usually, people qualify the Superlift by saying it is the "only reasonably priced suspension lift." I don't know of anyone that has done the Dixon Bros. but for the work and money, you may want to consider a solid axle. That's my plans anyway.

That is a good kit but it costs 5 grand by the time you get the kit 3500, then shocks 1200, and bumpstops 450.00. You could pay to have a solid axle custom fabbed cheaper then that and it will be stronger.

Like the others said, it's cheaper and bettter in the long run to just spend the DB Suspension money on converting over to a solid axle. Chad has already done his, Hugh and I are going to be doing a SAS, SOA to our in yhe next two years. JMHO. :haveabeer::banana:

Not for serious offroader's/ trail rider's. Don't get me wrong it looks awesome but for the money, do a SAS, SOA, for cheaper, stronger and a more versatile all around vehicle but in the long run it's up to you.

If ride comfort is more important to you than the things Jerry mentioned, then it may be worth your money. Its not worth my money, though.

To each their own. I would have done a SAS too, but i had a height restriction due to having a 7' Max parking garage at my building. Hence my 4" superlift.

now why is the solid axle better for durability? i understand the price portion but not really the functionality of the solid axle vs the dixonbros suspension lift (I only have a very basic knowledge of this subject sorry about being a noob haha)

Solid axles are heavier duty and have more flexability when offroading. If you really want to learn more before dropping the money on whatever you decide to get check out "seriousexplorations.com", their more geared towards offroading and custom fabrication. :banana:

I hope others will chime in too, but IMO With Solid Axel, you're reducing the number of universal joints by 2 so less to wear out, there is protective metal around the shafts all the way to the joints at the wheel for protection from rocks. You also will get better flex. IFS is better for High Speeds and turning, which is why you'll always see IFS used in Baja races, and solid axels in rock crawling.

Yup, CityBoy's right. So, what are you wanting a lift for? If its just for looks and you spend very little time off road, I'd just go the cheapest route. If you actually get off the pavement, you've got some homework to do.

SeriousExplorations and Pirate4x4 have all the information you could ever need. Pirate 4x4 doesn't have much for Explorers and certainly not Sport Tracs, but there is more off road and lift information on that site than you could ever master. If you're willing to do the homework, you can be sure to find exactly what will fit your needs and budget.

Also, never forget: the only way to true lift is bigger tires. No matter what suspension you choose, if you don't put more rubber between the axle and the ground, you aren't really lifting anything.

LCPL OZ said:
ok thanx. so basically not worth the the money then?

It depends on what you want to do with your truck. Dixon Bros. is a long-travel setup designed for desert racing that replaces most of the front end components with longer and stronger stuff. Besides the cost of the kit and shocks you also have to add flared fiberglass front fenders and paint because it widens the front track several inches. If you just want to fit 33's and do mild to moderate off-roading, then the Superlift is perfectly fine.

Im currently in the marine corps, and my plans were to go to hit some of the local trails once or twice a month on my days off, from the sound of it though, I don't think the dixon bros kit would be strong enough from what i got out of CityBoy's response also, yes budget is an issue, and i can't afford to spend extra money to fix things that should have held up to normal wear and tear. Thank You everyone i will definitly do further research. but thanks for the input and the knowledge.