sway bar and shocks???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hasty

Reaction score
I am in need of some upgrades to my '05 Adrenaline. I was told to get shocks and a sway bar first. What are the best of each to get and could you provide links for me?

I have the Rancho RSX shocks on my ST. It's the same shock as the Monroe Reflex. Most folks here buy either of those two or the Monroe Sensatrac or Rancho RS5000. Some have bought other shocks as well. It just depends on what kind of ride you're looking for and the conditions in which you plan on driving your ST (on-road, off-road, etc). I bought my shocks from on line from Sam's Off Road. You can also get them from retailers like Sears. Just check around the web and your local stores for the best deal.

Get the sway bar from Explorer Express. Linked below.

No matter what shocks you decide upon, upgrading the stock shocks and getting the EE sway bar will greatly improve your handling.

I do mostly on-road driving. I do go off road through the fields every once in a while when I go hunting. I have bfg a/t's for tires. how hard is it to put on the shocks and sway bar? I heard something about some of the shocks having multiple settings....is this true?

This is what we have on our '01 ST now and I really like the setup. It's a stable, comfortable ride with excellent road feel.

Explorer Express rear stabilizer/anti-sway bar w/ greasable bushings from ToddZ, and upgraded '03-'05 factory end links with poly bushings;

4x4 Front OEM stabilizer/anti-sway bar, on 4x2, and upgraded '03-'05 factory end links with poly bushings;

Roadmaster Active Suspension on the leaf springs;

Tokico Trek Master R/T shocks (front and rear);

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires, 33 psi front & 35 psi rear

The Rancho RSX and Monroe Reflex are self adjusting and would probably do what you wanted in all driving conditions. There are also some other shocks that are manually adjustable, such as the Rancho RS9000X. It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

If you have some mechanical aptitude, or a buddy who is a grease monkey, tools, and a free Saturday afternoon, both the shocks and sway bar are easy to install using the projects linked below. I did mine on a Saturday in my garage. You don't even have to jack up the vehicle to install these mods.

I also have the RAS kit. I have a 4X2, but will probably upgrade the front sway bar to the OEM 4X4 in the future to further improve my handling.

I am looking for the most comfortable ride and best performance I can get. I don't really know much about manual adjusting shocks, so I would probably leave them at one setting. I am not looking to spend a fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I would recommend either RSX or Reflex. They're basically the exact same shock, just sold under different names by their parent company, Tenneco. Like I stated before, it's a self-adjusting shock that will adapt to your driving habits and road conditions as necessary.

Rodger:

If you can't answer this, I'm sure Caymen can since he's a proponent of the 4x4 sway bar upgrade on 4x2 ST's:

What is the diameter of the OEM 4x4 sway bar, and what is the diameter of the OEM 4x2 sway bar?

Latest posts