Switched power in console?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
I want to tap into a switched power supply in my console (high series) to power my iPod and FM transmitter. I believe the amperage needed will be minimal. The power outlet on the side of the console is constant on, so I don't want to use that. I thought about tapping into the power that runs to the heater/ac fan in the rear of the console - the one that blows air to the back seat passengers. Anyone see a problem with that, or have a better suggestion? I need the power to turn off when I turn off the engine.

thanks all

You could hook the existing outlet to a switched source, OR add one.... I would do a relay setup since the fuse box in the ST is not that high fused for power draw like that..

Todd Z

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we keep the same kind of hours.

I know you hear this a lot, but I want to say that we all appreciate your knowledgeable answers and hints. ;)

Rich

Another thing to consider, if you tap into the fan switch you do run a high risk of picking up noise from the multi speed switch. It's basically just a variable resistor.

rmac,

LOL most days are 7-3:30 But during the summer it is 6-2:30 or what ever the contractor is working.. :)

Jeff,

The speed is controlled by the resister block by the fan, the switch is not a resistor..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts