Synthethic Transmission fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha folks, I want to change the transmission fluid and filter in mt 2002 two wheel drive. If I use Amsoil or Mobile1 synthetic, will it mix well with the ford oil that is still in the torque converter or will I have a problem? TKS Ed

The ford fluid it came with is full synthetic. Change out with the mercon V fluid. Lookup the amsoil or mobile 1 for compatibility, or wait for Vic to answer

Ed,

Your profile indicates your Sport Trac is a 2002 model. Is this a used vehicle that you recently purchased, or am I to assume that you have never changed your transmission fluid? If you have changed your ATF regularly, what fluid did you use in the past? Not all brands of Mercon-V are or were full synthetics.

If you have never changed the ATF, or it has been a long time since it was changed, you are probably better off having the transmission flushed, the filter changed and the fluid replaced with a quality brand name Fully Synthetic Mercon-V.

As I understand, early model Sport Tracs came from the factory with a Semi-Synthetic version of Mercon-V ATF. Since then Ford has changed to a Fully Synthetic Mercon-V...probably because of all the transmission problems owners had with the early Sport Tracs

Also, there was a recall issue for some 2002-2003 Sport Tracs for dealers to add bottle of a Friction Modifier to the transmission fluid...but only if the transmissions displayed specific symptoms? They claimed that the supplier provided the wrong ATF fluid to the Louisville Assembly Plant.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I had a shop change the fluid at 110K miles. I can only assume that he used Ford fluid. It was 30K miles and 8 years ago. I will go to Ford for the fluid and filter and hope they arn't too expensive.

Tks Ed

There's no compatibility problem mixing synthetic and conventional transmission fluids. Same goes for engine oil by the way. If you're going to DIY your next ATF service, installing a drain plug in the pan makes for easy-peasy future drain/fills. For cost comparison, AMSOIL OE Multi-Vehicle fluid (meets Mercon V spec) wholesales for $6.20 a quart (case of 12) using our Preferred Customer program. Contact me for more info.

Ed,

While I agree with Vic, that mixing synthetic with conventional oil's or ATFs does not present a compatibility problem, you are reducing the performance of the Synthetic. Heat is the enemy of all ATFs. If you mix about 50% conventional ATF with 50% synthetic ATF, you have essentially reduced the heat stability of the expensive ATF to that of the conventional ATF.....(The theory that the strength of a chain is determined by the weakest link applies here)

If you don't know what ATF was used at your last change and it has been 30K miles since that last ATF change, I would opt for a complete fluid flush. That will replace about 98% of the fluid in your transmission and you will now know the status of your transmissions service.

....Rich

Im not shure that motorcraft has a full-syn-atf. All stores around me that sell motorcraft mercon-v atf, is syn-blend. Havent checked the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
@%&(*#$^% why can't life be easy? I am too old for decisions!

Ed

To me, Ed's opening question referred to doing a pan drop and refill. Hence my comment about compatibility. It is possible to DIY a complete flush but it involves opening the cooler lines (as a shop would do), and you really need a helper to accomplish it. Everyone's got their preferred maintenance pieces (oil, ATF, spark plugs, brake pads, etc.). If you want your transmission to last, use a good quality fluid and change it regularly - with regularly being how you want to define it. I believe AMSOIL has the best quality lubricants, but you have to use them to actually see the difference.

Vic,

Ed did not seem to know what kind of ATF fluid was in his Sport Trac, that's why I ask if this was a recently purchased used vehicle and perhaps he did not know the maintenance history.

When dealing with a used vehicle with an unknown maintenance history, you probably should assume the worst...especially with transmission problems on early model Sport Tracs.

I personally perfer to flush the transmission and I have it done at a shop. Not that it is necessarily hard to do, but is certainly less trouble, less mess, and faster...and if you find a shop that does it at a reasonable cost, it's really a no-brainer.

The commercial flush machines will typically use about 14-15 quarts of ATF, and push fresh oil in at the same rate the transmission pumps it out. It only takes a about 20-30 minutes and you get a warranty if they screw it up. Just be sure to find out what ATF they use and what their warranty is. No warranty?..Walk away. No brand-name ATF?...walk away. If they insist on using some kind of pre-flush cleaning solution?...walk away.

...Rich

I changed around 80k. I let it self pump out the tranny cooler line and then dropped the pan and changed the filter.

I think it took about 8-9 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF. I am now over 100k miles and it still shifts great.

Dean,

That sounds scary ! You may have gotten lucky, but I would not recommend pumping the transmission fluid out through the cooler without pumping fresh fluid in.

...Rich

It sounds scary, but it isn't. Trans is not under any kind of load, plenty of residual lube.

Just shut it off when the flow subsides. Not my first rodeo...