Synthetic or Just Lucky

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Davis

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have not been here in a while so I thought I would pop in to see what was going on and ask a question. I now have 109k on my 2001 ST and still have had no major problems. I use Castrol full synthetic on all my oil changes and Dura Lube every 50k. As a matter of fact my last 3 cars I have had I use the same formula, Castrol FS and Dura Lube. I have never had a problem. Well, my 95 Nissan Quest finally needed some engine work at 240k.

So am I lucky or is full synthetic oil and some kind of engine treatment like Dura Lube or Slick 50 really have it's advantages?

By the way, I am still pulling out huge dead trees from the creek with the ST and block and tackle. Goota love that.

Take care guys.

I absolutely swear by synthetic. After I get 2 oil changes on my new vehicle, I go straight to synthetic. I honestly feel the engine runs cooler, better and gets better over-all mileage.

Joe,

Overall, there are very few engine related problems in cars today. Rarely do engines just blow up. Synthetic oil and any brands of Snake Oil like Slick 50, Duralube, Prolong, Z-tech, etc. will not prevent your alternator for going back. Your starter will not last forever because of the oil you use. The shocks, wheel bearings, electrical system, plug wires, and water pump could care less what oil you use or any additive you use in your oil.

It just doesn't happen.

I have seen plenty of vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them and they used nothing but dino goo oil and run strong.

I run synthetic oil, change it once a year, and drive the crap out of it.

Tom

I am going to have to agree with Caymen on this one, I am one of those dino-oil users Caymen talks about, 160K miles on my VW Jetta engine and I sold the car, compression and everything else with the engine was perfect, my dad has 280K miles on his jetta with only dino oil, no engine related problems.

I do synthetic Mobil 1 after the first oil change on my new vehicles that I have

bought since 2000, when synthetics first started getting really popular.

I still run the factory recommended oil filter (AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc...)

with the Mobil 1, as most of mine have been new and under warranty.

I use to swear by Fram filters, and have an '89 GMC Jimmy with 227,000 miles on

her with Pennzoil and the Fram filters, but I have heard some bad things about

the Fram filters, lately, and have been leary to run them again.

I'd also say, though I use to swear by it, Slick 50 is just a snake oil treatment

now. There may be some who still use it, but I don't, now.

Sounds like you're doing something right!!! So keep it up!!!:D

I have never used synthetic, but have been reading (here and other places) about all the good things synthetic will do for your ride. I have an '07 ST and just had the first oil change at the dealer. I mentioned synthetic and asked when I should switch. He said wait until I have 12K on the motor. Is that good advice? Why wait if it is such a good thing to do? Just asking.

How often you change the oil is more important than what oil you use. Additives are not necessary unless you have an old gunked up engine that needs cleaned out.

Plain dino oil changed every 3000 to 5000 miles and it will run forever. I usually run synthetic and change it every 5000, I also occasionally send my old oil to a lab for analysis. FWIW I had much lower wear metals with Pennzoil Platinum than I did Mobil 1 Truck & SUV.

Motorcraft filters are much better than Fram and cost about the same.

FWIW, Ever since switching out to Royal Purple (engine, diff. & tranny) I have had an increase in performanc (runs quieter & accelerates easier) and gas milage which to me translates to no issues with wear metals.

Same here. You can definitely tell a difference so I feel it must be helping.

Latest posts