System install questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
First off, this is not for me, it is for a friend of about 13-14 years; we went to pre-school together.

He has a 2004 Subaru WRX. He has asked me to install his system for him, but he wants to keep the stock head unit, since he has the 6cd changer. He bought a Kicker S10L7 dual 4ohm and a Kicker KX600.1 amp. I know I need a low level converter, or whatever it's called, but I need to know where to get it. I tried to get him to go aftermarket, but his stock head unit is really nice. He also has a 2farad capacitor and a 4gauge wiring kit. I don't have any questions about wiring up the sub or amp, just about the converter/inverter whatever it's called, like where would I tap into the factory wires? At a rear door jamb? And would anyone have a part number for the inverter? Thanks.

When I first got my ST, I had installed one 12" MB Quart Sub, with a JBL Amp, with the factory head-unit, just get a speaker level converter, part number is SLC-4. made by Scosche, you can get one at your local walmart. I hooked mine up directly to my factory head unit, but i forgot the wireings.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A 4 gauge wiring kit will work but if at all possible go minimum 2 gauge and preferably 0-1 gauge. The amp and sub combo are gonna be hungry and the bigger power pipe WILL make a difference.

4 gauge will be fine..... dont forget to charge the cap and if your just hooking up one amp circuit city sells a low level converter thats easier to use than the scosche. its made buy metra/tsunami... part # FLLOC600... just type that in on circuitcity.com...it will show u a pic and price..personally i dont like the scosche they are a pain in the butt but they do work. Just remember the ur friend would get better sound out of an aftermarket head unit.. when i install a sub in a car with out one it sounds so much better but if he wants the factory deck thats all you can do.

I've pretty much told him, and he is thinking about it, but it's a double din, and he really doesn't want to have one of those plastic install kits, so he's looking at the 7" touch screens that don't fold away, they're just there. He's probably going to ask for it for Christmas, and he'll probably get it, and I'll probably install it, but for now, he's fine with this. He also bought a roll of "brown bread" for his trunk, so it looks like I'll have a fun weekend. Then, I get to light his whole trunk with blue neon, since he has blue underbodies, blue interiors, and the capacitor lights up blue, and his sub/amp are blue and silver, and his car is silver. I personally think it will look freakin sweet when it's all done, and if I hadn't known this guy for basically my entire life, I'd probably be charging him for all the work. I settled for a case of Corona...I'll decide if it was worth it after the case is gone. Lol.

Oh, and thanks for the help guys. I really want to do this right.

audio control makes a very very nice interface called the "clean sweep". it has all kinds of bells and whistles and also has 2 inputs for satellite radio or ipod or whatever have you. go to this link to check it out:

The best bet for your friend, as everyone else has said, go aftermarket... But Be sure to tell your buddy he wont need an "install kit". That vehicle is an ISO mount application, and all though it is double din all he would need is metra part# 98-8999 for the pocket, and metra part # 70-8901 for the harness. It is one of the easiest installs there is, hands down. and it looks pretty dang good with the pocket.

...Back from the dead...

I installed it with no problems...well, the only problem is that he can't see out of his mirrors when he turns it up because they shake so much. Seriously, the bass is turned all the way down on his head unit, and the gain and bass boosts are at about 1/3 power, and it is still gives me a head ache after one song (Linkin Park, not even a rap song). He's happy with it, and that's what matters...