Tail Lights (Aftermarket Options)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
After replacing my front brake pads, my next project is purely aesthetic. Stopping is more important than appearance. LOL.

A few members have changed the tail lights with pleasing results. Checking online I've found a price range from $80 to $250 a pair. Any differences in build quality, D.O.T. certification, fitting and sealing issues, etc.? Seems the terms "Euro" and "Altezza" are used almost interchangeably by most of the vendors with their descriptions. Didn't realize the improvement they made until I saw a few ST's with them. The "new" black finish seems to match my oxford white XLS the best. (Not the tinted lenses)

Bottom line. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ on the more expensive tails? Thanks Again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has their own likes/dislikes so it's up to your taste. Personally, I don't like the ricer looking "Euro" or "Altezza" aftermarket lights .... front or rear. I do like the slotted tail light covers, painted body color, as long as they don't obstruct too much light. The tinted ones look pretty good but do obstruct too much light ..........IMO.

Steve, unfortunately choices are pretty limited, I suffer the same fate with my 2dr sport. Not a big fan of chrome or carbon fiber(unless there are other CF accessories on the truck). These are the only ones I'm a fan of, and should look pretty decent on a white trac. Obviously e-shop for the best price, ebay items hardley ever put brand names on their ads. When you install them, don't forget to get some spongy insulation tape(I used armacell 1/8"x2" wide self adhering, from home depot's plumbing section) and create a washer between the housing and the bulb socket. I cut a 2"x2" square, cut a little hole and fit around the bulb socket. It creates an airtight seal so you don't get any condensation. I did this on my headlights as well.

steve,

i had these on my 04 adren. i thought they looked good as they matched the chrome on the truck. i forgot what i paid, but got them on e-bay and they were fine with no leaks.

good luck

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Gary,man that's one sharp Trac. Sorry, but those are the lights I don't like but hey it's not my Trac! It's just a matter of personal preference. I think the ones Mike posted would have looked better on your black Trac. As the lyrics from an old song go "It's your thing, do what ya wanna do". The Gen 2 tail lights are done in much better taste. IMO

[Broken External Image]:

Hey dude, i hope you find some lights u like. I got mine off ebay and simply sprayed mine with VHT nightshades.

There's quite a few options available...

If you're somewhat creative, you can tint the stock lenses with VHT.

[Broken External Image]:

Sold these ones to another myst member (cananadian sport trac?). He was quite happy with the results, although he is yet to post a pic of them installed (hint) :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

You can spray the tint on to your liking, although I wouldn't recommend spraying on more than 4 coats. Several layers of clearcoat will give the lenses a nice, wet, glossy look...

Ebay is probably the best bet for finding aftermarket tails. There's black, chrome, carbon fiber, chrome with tinted lenses, etc...

Bought this from an ebay seller who advertised the lenses as black ones. Recieved chrome instead and they gave me the runaround so I decided to just keep them. These are brand new in box never used or installed. I'm not a fan of chrome so if you or anyone else would like these, we can make a deal...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The tails I have on my trac right now are the cabon fiber style that I tinted slightly to give it a darker look...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Is it worth the money? It's YOU who makes your money and wether it's worth it or not depends entirely on you. For me, it's worth it...not only is it fun, but I enjoy having a distinguished trac amongst the numerous basic, stock transportation units.

Hope this helps...

Haha!!! (reaper)

Which one's are you talking about, the tinted stock one's or the one's I have on my trac now?

If you're talking about the tinted stock tails, then you missed out on a great deal...

I think I sold them for something like 20.00 not including shipping...

Hey, is that a pic of your trac with the 3 in. blocks installed? Looking good dude!!!

Have you thought of painting your cladding black? Now that would be sic :cool:

steve m,

thanks !

i no longer have the trac. todd z is the proud owner of it now. he has some made some changes since.

steve,

those look as the same that i had on the 04. like the way you tinted them. like the dual exhaust set up on your trac. :cool:

LOL,, thanks...

Here are the ones i put on it now.. and what it looks like now....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Gary- One of the nicest Trac's I have EVER seen.

You couldn't be more heartbroken than me. In high school I traded my '70 Boss 429 for a '72 Gran Torino Sport. (POS) I weep to this day and avoid looking at the prices they command.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

The end result of this post:

JDM Black Taillights from Ebay for $80 pair.

DOT and FMVSS108 Approved. Thanks.

I see you have a White ST.. so here is what a set of the chrome look like..

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a shot with tail light guards on them..

[Broken External Image]:

I also put clear corners on the front.. but I have not got pictures of them..

The chrome does look better on a white Trac. The blacked out ones look good on Todd's black Trac. The OEM red ones look best on red Trac's. I guess whatever minimizes those huge fugly tail lights is what works best. IMO........

I personaly like the tinted tail lights, but you have to be careful as fas as inspection and cops who can bust ball$. I live in NJ and if you put those tail light gurds on you can get a ticket. I know it sucks but that's life.

If you do buy aftermarket lights mak sure they have a D.O.T imprint on them it helps!

Latest posts