Tailgate issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McFarlin

Reaction score
I use my bed quite often. I haul a bike which only weighs 220 lbs and other light cargo. My tailgate is trashed. Just from where I step into it and I only weigh 180lbs. Is this common? The truck was less than 2 months old when this started to happen.

It is an '05 that I bought new in Sept of '06.

Is there a fix for this? I have noticed that the '07's are different. Can I maybe get the cover for an '07 and it be stronger?

07 will not fit, The support in the gate is not meant for pressure points...

Take the black plastic off and bend the bar back... IF you want you could install a small plate under the plastic for more support...

Todd Z

There isn't much underneath that plastic.

Bikes that "bounce" on the tailgate during transit can fold it in half. When you haul stuff, cut out a 4 x 8 x 5/8 sheet of plywood to lay in the bed and on the tailgate to redistribute the weight.

How about a picture of it?

You might want to get a piece of heavy gauge diamond plate to cover the inside of the tailgate to replace the plastic panel and used the same screw holes. You could buy a new plastic cover piece and istall that whenever you decide to sell it.

...Rich

Thanks for your help guys! Has anyone put something underneath to reinforce it??

BTW, I am looking for a trailer for the bike!