Tailgate load limit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorne Olson

Reaction score
I was looking at new ST's today and was suprised by the tag on the tailgate. It said something like 100 lbs limit? I have a 90cc atv and would like to use ramps to get it into the Sporttrac and using the bed extender cage to keep it in the truck. Would that not be adviseable?? Any thoughts?? :unsure:

Well...

I can't speak for any of the actual specs, but I've had 3 people, all over 200 lbs., standing on my tailgate at the same time and I've never had a problem. I think you'll be fine with the ATV.

While Ford claims a really low limit on most of thier tailgates, many will attest to having much more weight then the "limit". How are average guys, who weigh well over 100 lbs, supposed to get into the bed? I'm not sure if the limit is there to protect the cables, the cable ends, the cable attachment points, or the hinges; just don't expect any warranty coverage if any should fail should you go above the limit.

I think the limit is there so you can't sue when the cable breaks and dump you or your load on the ground. I have had more that that in my '01 before. Some have even carried lawnmowers in thier ST's.

Latest posts