Tap & Die

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
I need a sae and metric set for work. Anyone have any suggestions that aren't massive and cost an arm and leg?

Scott,,, I'd like to get out of this @$100-150.. Jeff I saw some gearwrench on amazon with good reviews. Just don't know what if I would really use the larger "bits" but it would be nice to have them if I did need them.

I bought both a Metric and an SAE (40 pieces) set from Harbor Freight for about $15 each. They worked great for me. Never broke a tap...but I did lose a few over the years..:grin:

Harbor Freight has other Tap & Die kits, so you may need to check the assortment of sizes in each kit to fit your needs.

The Harbor Freight kits look very similar to the Sears kit, but at a fraction of the cost.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
LaRue,

I have the HF #60685 sae and #60676 metric

They have been good for general purpose. Ok with some of the softer alloys. Below is my take on them.

Beware of the warranty. Lifetime means shipping the whole kit back. When you break only one. The store or factory cant replace only the one that breaks. That is not reasonable.

I have the metric and the sae kits. They have been ok for home use. The taps are the second tap. No starter tap. Can be dificult to start. Had to drill some holes larger than chart requires. They are good thead chasers. The cutting edges are sharper than the HF non coated sets. They do make clean threads, if you take your time and keep lubed.

Eddie,

Do you not have a Harbor Freight store in the Houston area? We have a store in Waco, and I have never had any problems returning any item that did not work up to my expectations. I think most items I have returned were electrical tools like cut-off wheels, saws, etc. They always seem to be underpowered despite the amperage or HP ratings. I do have a small saber-saw, and a really cool 1/2" hammer drill that will drill through 3" of concrete lickity-split. :grin:

Most hand tools are fine as are their pneumatic tools....not up to professional standards, but for occassional use, they work fine for most home mechanics or do-it-yourself projects.

...Rich

See L1tech link. (75 piece combination set for less than $100)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

I have an HF store 4miles from me. The problem is I bought the kit online, years before the store. The store wont do an exchange, despite the warranty. My store doesnt have the kit on the shelf. So I was trying to get the manager to order an exchange. No deal.

When I called HF, I was told to ship the whole kit back. They dont replace individual peices,ODD. My kit is the same they sell now. The difference is mine came in a steel case instead of poly, heavy. It has been a decent kit. Best for the price, when I bought it.

I broke the tap myself try to chase a hardend locking nut. The type that has the tri-punch on the last thread. I have used both kits alot. Even making new threads.

HF said, no problem with the warranty. I have to ship the whole kit. Most likely how they get out of the life warranty. Who wants to mess with the shipping. When I can buy a replacement tap cheaper and less hassle..:banghead:

Eddie,

OK, I have never bought anything from HF online...I just go to the local store and have never had any problems returning anything....but then most items were returned in a about a week.

...Rich

Rich,

Same here buying at the store. No problem exchanging or returning within 30 days. At my store the manager has cut me some special deals. He cut me an extra discount on my 6500watt elec.strart generator, along with the coupon discount. $350 before tax. The 2 he had in stock was for california emissions and not on the books.

I use to buy alot online. This is the first item from online I needed to replace.