Teaching your Kid about stick shifts:(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
So the kiddlette wants to learn how to drive a stickshift, okay, lets go down to the local JC parking lot, (empty on a sunday), this is in the roush (only stick car i have)

Sit behind me and watch my feet, is all in the feet and how they work the clutch and gas, come off the clutch easy, give it a little gas and roll.

So we sit and i show her the shift pattern thru second, will not be going over 30 mph

DO NOT MOVE THE SHIFTER UNLESS THE CLUTCH IS IN, got it dad.

so she takes of in 1st, clutch off to soon, give it more gas i scream, she floors it, smokes the tires and gets it sideways, missed a light standard by maybe 1 inch.

Is my last kid, not giving driving lessons anymore:eek:

powerful car for a learner..

I learned on stick shift too. My mom was feeling brave and drove me out to the middle of our unfinished subdivision. I stalled on the first attempt and she got out of the car screaming and walked home. It was up to me to figure out how to get the little honda civic back home. LOL

I learned quickly though. Only thing I regret about the ST is that its not stick shift. :(

WTF!! What do you mean by sideways? Is there any damage? I'm surprised you let her drive it OMG!!.

I learned on a beat up datsun pickup in an old pineapple field. My uncle taught me as my Father has no patience....

first off...LOL!!!

Did you make her clean the passenger seat.

Find a 4 wheel drive stick shift. Put it in low and let them go.

They can hear and feel the motor and transmission.

new Chad

Buy a POS stickshift car and let her have it once she gets a DL. Using a Roush is just nuts! LOL:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As i said

was the only stick in the stable, going out again in the morn, she will learn how to drive it.

will be her car in a few yrs.Well maybe in 10 yrs:)

I learned how to drive stick shift last summer in the new Shelby GT 500..:wub:... My dads rules were simple...... Your not allowed to touch the gas until you have master the clutch work from a stop.... Oh the laps I've done idling, stopping, idle, stop, idle, stop.....In all honesty, that has proven to be the easiest... and safest way to learn stick shift.... from that I've been able to teach 3 people how to drive stick in less then 1 hr....Not in the Shelby of course but in other vehicles......But no stick shift lesson with such a powerful car would be complete without a "learn from experience;)" of what would happen if you drop the clutch at 5000RPM........ just make sure you have at least a football field in length clear ahead. :blink:

I feel you, I'm trying to teach Sarah (G/F) how to drive a stick using the GT, and it was a rocky start. At least she didn't get it sideways. Anyways, good luck, and may patience be your virtue. BTW, is your Roush supercharged?

yep is blown, st 3 with pully upgrades, 401 RWHP, been to infinion once for a class, twice to buttonwillow.

Next summer the kid will be driving the car with an instructor at thunderhill.

High speed driving class I feel is a great education for your kids.

In a true bonding moment in 1983, I can remember my Mom flipping the bird to someone who passed me on the left while taking a right at a stop sign as I struggled to get that 4 speed (I think) Chevy Citation going.

Pretty much passed on learning to drive stick until 1990 when I bought a Geo Storm Gsi 5 speed and then just jumped in the fire - there was a hill to get out of the dealership and had to take a left into heavy traffic.

Rent a 5 speed...Jeep Wrangler possibly. I believe it to be a pretty easy clutch to learn on and you do not have to worry about buring your's out or side swiping a light post - just be sure to get the extra insurance.

OR

Just go and test drive a bunch of 5 speeds. Tell the dealer you are looking to buy her a car, how will they know you are just using them?

High speed driving class I feel is a great education for your kids.

I'd like to go through one myself. Illinois State Police held one last year at Mid America Airport. They took teens out on the runway in Mustangs. I've always wanted to hit the runway in mine. The closest I've come is taking our government vehicle out there. It's great, no speed limit, but just not as much fun in a Chevy 2500 crew.

With the type of cars young drivers can buy today,WRXs, some hypo nissons, most anything that can do 0/60 in 5 secs.

young and old alike should be required to get some training.

I did, and it was truly an education.

But I still drive it like I stoled it:cool::banana:

Go rent a Ford Focus for a couple of days.

Take out the extra insurance and have fun, since you'll be able to

relax a little bit.;)

I like Bud's idea about renting a cheap stick. Since we're local, maybe you want to rent my '87 Ranger manual? Offered her to 4 of my 6 kids that have hit driving age, with no takers. Three of them have bought cars (auto), and now gripe about car payments. "Boohoo, you had a chance at a freebie!"

Could always put a block behind the gas pedal...

Not recommended for highway, But good for the parking lot teaching...

Todd Z

Second lesson is over, she has it down but never wants to drive a stick again, she thinks it's to much work:) is better to drive moms cooper and just use your thumbs (paddle shifters).

Main problem is I have an aftermarket spec stage 2 clutch in the car, is real stiff to depress even for me.End of lessons forever thank gawd.:banana:

Latest posts