that was a close one

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler wright

Reaction score
The other day i got in trouble for shifting on my colum and my mom and dad told me to quit because that will mess up the tranny. Last night i was going to a football game and i started the truck and put it in reverse. It would not go, it was like putting it in neutral. So before anyone noticed me in the neighbor hood i put it in neutral and pushed it back. I drove to the school, not eben a mile down the road, and parked it. Out of curiosity i put it in reverse and it worked! Has this happened to anyone?

I think he's talking about shifting it one gear at a time like it's a 3-on-the-tree. The problem is that you can slip a shift and either put it in neutral, or in reverse. I've never had your situation happen, but I did accidentally put it in reverse while moving forward when I was testing the adjustment on my new floor shifter. It definately made some nasty noises, but I was able to pull it back into neutral before anything happened, and I was only going about 15 mph when I did it. I've also done what you're talking about while testdriving a new 07 with the floor shifter, but that is a really soft shifter, and it's also really easy to slip shifts.

That's actually how the slap-shift function works on my floor shifter, the mechanism advances one gear from 1st to 2nd to drive, but the differance is it's designed to not allow it to advance any further than one gear at a time, and it won't advance past drive until you put it back into normal gate mode.

With yours, the only thing I can figure is for whatever reason, either the gear shifter didn't fully engage the shift switch on the side of the transmission into reverse, or you've got an internal issue, but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just didn't get it all the way into reverse. I've had mine stick a few times before I was actually in gear. I just returned it to park and tried again. Usually doesn't happen more than once at a time.

Maybe he meant that Big Bear, I guess he could have meant that. But if he wanted a standard he should get a standard. Nobody should ever run an automatic that way, nor even think they should so that never even occurred to me as to what he might be doing.

TJR

Tyler please...I used to be a guy your age believe it or not, and I know listening to the folks sucks 'cuz they don't know a damn thing. I drove my first car (77 T-Bird) they way you are talking about. I really beat the crap out of that car. It was a ton of fun! It was already ten years old when I got it. You're a lot luckier. You've got a GREAT looking truck. You can shine it up and be the envy of all your friends and the girls dig it too I'm sure. I'm not getting down on you, please don't take it that way...But be thankful you have a sweet ride and take care of it...baby it even. They don't last forever, and you'll always remember your first. I would never do half the crap I did to that old POS T-Bird to my Trac. Remember, it's sort of a Sport Luxury Utility Truck (SLUT) as Chet would say. It's not a Shelby Cobra or a Viper, and there is plenty on the road that will blow the doors right off of it, but it is a sweet truck. It's like those "crotch rocket" bikes...sure they'll outrun a Harley, but the Harley has more style and class. Love your Trac, and it will love you right back. Beat it, and it will turn into a POS very quickly. Drive safe, take care, and go thank your parents again for making you the driver of one of the best looking trucks around, the Sport Trac.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
True, Larry, I meant if Tyler is doing what we think he is doing to "feed his need to shift" then I suggest he get a manual tranny car...any car.

Still waiting for Tyler to explain what he was doing....

tyler, the problem was probably the linkage not kicking it into reverse. Take your parents advise, don't do it. You are causing unneeded wear to the bands by over heating the oil and causing higher pressure inside the tranny. Meaning, your heading for tranny trouble. (like you would need it with the weak-a**ed tranny already on the ST);)

Tiger didn't some older cars have a clutchless manual transmission that you could shift gears in that way? C'mon you gearheads, post your pics/links/experiences???

1971 Super Beetle, orange with white speed stripe down the lower half. Automatic three maybe four speed I believe. Little tiny microswitch in the gear shift knob. Apply pressure to shift and the microswitch triggered some kind of electronic clutch and shift away. It was way cool.

I used to shift my little LTD LX that way, until I found out it put the AOD trans into a different mode that caused problems if you kept it up. Didn't find out about that until the third trans, though. I shifted it like that because I would have preferred a stick shift car, but nobody made a V8 small sedan with stick shift, and shifting it like that let me pick the shift points.

Uh....sure, I guess you could confuse the automatic transmission in the ST for a clutchless manual.

You see, there is a difference in shifting an automatic transmission by way of forced shifts, and shifting a manual transmission (clutchless or not). The former produces excess heat, increased wear, and contributes to premature failure; the latter is essential for motivation of a vehicle via an internal combustion engine.

An automatic transmission is a tricky beast, even when you let is shift itself- like its desgined to do- the damn thing is on the verge of fragging itself at any moment.

I agree with STCTC. It has happened to me a few times. I don't get it into reverse all the way and it just kind of revs a bit and gets me nervous. It has never happened more than once consecutively. I just re-put it into reverse and it was fine. It happens.

I bet when you had to push the ST you were thinking D'OH!!!

Tommy