that was a close one

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just last week I was glancing through the automotive insert in the local paper. There is a question and answer section in there where you can "ask the experts". Someone asked if it was ok to shift an automatic transmission through the gears like a manual. There were two "experts" who responded and they both said that it would not harm anything. I think they went on to say something about the power being transfered via fluid instead of metal on metal or whatever so therefore it wouldn't hurt. I know almost nothing about transmissions but just thought I would throw this out, I know that is what they said and was surprised that no one had responded with that yet. I would never do it and dont know why anyone would. I wish I still had that paper so I could post exactly what they said but its long gone.

firedog,

I believe they would be Tom and Ray Magliozzi, the "Car Guys". Nationally syndicated

columnist on automotive related articles, and both, NIASE Master Certified Mechanics,

(such as myself!).

Again, I think tyler was referring to the "low 1, 2 , 3 "Bump Shift" on the column-mounted

shift lever for the automatic, unless there is a very rare option of the "3-on-the-tree"

manual transmission that I, or we, are not aware of!

Check your "PRNDL" indicator on the column ( the indicator that shows what gear you

are in). Had a problem with my '05 showing "almost" drive (D), when it was actually in

neutral (N). Dealer adjusted under warranty, again as a somewhat common problem

on a number of our 'Tracs with automatic transmissions! It will show almost one gear/

selection "down", from what the transmission is actually in, if this is your problem.

One of the symptoms of mine was that when it was in park, the indicator showed

"almost" reverse! Sounds like, maybe what tyler was describing!

dreman,

Had a friend in high school that had a Ford Grenada 2 door with the LX package, 302 v-8,

three speed on the floor and the landau roof! All factory, and a sharp little car for

the day!!! Kept up with the Mustangs and MOST of the Camaros!

Me,

VW called it the "Manumatic" Trans on the Super Beetles! Yes, I remember that!:wub:

i was shifting on the colum

mom told me to stop iot would mess the tranny up

i stopped i was trying to back out the driveway. Would not go into revers. Restarted the truck and did the same process din't work

poushed iot out and left

got to the school and reverse worked

Whats so hard to understand

Tyler, here is a little advice for you that if you take it will help you immensely throughout life, ready:

"When someone asks you to explain what you mean by something, DO NOT simply restate the same thing a second time."

I understood each and every individual word of "I was shifting on the column", yet, I am not 100% sure what you mean by that phrase. Since no stock Sport Trac that I am aware has ever had a shifter on the floor, I must assume that "shifting on the column" is where one is SUPPOSED to shift, and the ONLY place one can shift.

So, that leaves me with the questions "why", and "how" was it that "shifting on the column" as you say was somehow harmful and cautioned by your parents?

Were you, as others have guessed starting out by shifting into low, then shifting up into 2nd, then finally into Drive while driving...is that what you were doing and is that what you meant by "shifting on the column"? If so, I have never heard it called that before, that's why I asked what you meant.

And, if that IS what you were doing, might I ask: “Why were you doing that?”

Thanks,

TJR

A questions comes to mind,

Do you think he was "Down shifting also?"

Then I might understand why he had a momentary laps of reverse.

Also if he was driving and down shifting from Drive to 2, then to 1st ...Well :huh:

You do the math.:(

Check out this article for information on Automatic transmitions. This is also a great site for information on just about anything. There is also an article on manual transmitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a problem with the spelling, and the grammar. And I am trying to be "So Much

More Forgiving", since you all have pointed out my "Anal- Retentive Tendencies",

and my propensity to point out the obvious in some of our posts, in relation to the above

(Sp. and Gr. ).:

" i was shifting on the colum

mom told me to stop iot would mess the tranny up

i stopped i was trying to back out the driveway. Would not go into revers. Restarted the truck and did the same process din't work

poushed iot out and left

got to the school and reverse worked

Whats so hard to understand "

Reply to Tyler:

"Whats so hard to understand " "

"Your use of the English Language".

Concentrate on your "English Language Skills. 101". The shifting will come naturally,

at a later date !

Believe it or Not!!!

With Respect...TnB...:)