the "bump" is back ! - i give up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
well after a week plus and over 500 miles, the great tranny in my 07 is back to "normal".

did the NEG reconnect and was happy with the results until today. its back :angry:

maybe if i try the self "fix" again, i should stand on one foot, look to the east and wear a speedo bathing suit. if that's what it takes, no problem !

is this issue on the 08's ?

if so, i most likely will rule out an 09 as a possible for my next vehicle.

like i said before, if i owned this near 40k vehicle, i would really be pissed !

Interesting put TJR...I've never considered or come across anything regarding the lemon law on a leased vehicle.

??????????

Dave S,

Leased or purchased makes no difference. My wife and I put a claim against a leased '04 Mountaineer and were awarded a nice settlement.

Estimates were that as many as 1 in 5 '04 Explorers, Sport Tracs and Mountaineers exhibited low mileage transmission problems (harsh shifting, lurch from park to drive/reverse) that couldn't be fixed by the dealer during numerous repair attempts. Our Mountaineer was one such vehicle. Problems at 8k miles, 16k miles, 24k miles, 32k miles, the same problem each time, no confidence that it ever really got fixed.

We showed over 3 repair attempts dating back to the first 12 months and 12k miles of "ownership" (that's what the lemon law in most states require). We sought the lemon law claim because our experience was showing us that the tranny would go again, and need fixing, probably before we had to turn back in the lease, but after the vehicle was off warranty. Our thought was "why should we be out of pocket for the fix just because we got a lemon?"

We were given a cash settlement that we kept in our own escrow of sorts (not really, but the point is we held the cash) just in case we needed to make repairs on our dime before turning the vehicle back. Luckily we didn't have to. The tranny never acted up again between 32k and when we turned it in with about 42k.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information learned TJR...I had no idea and as a matter of fact, never considered the lemon law under a lease.

Guessin I naively supposed that this wasn't my POS. It's your's. Leasing dealer I mean.

Good to know...

Last edited by a moderator:
tjr,

i didn't know that about 04's.

now that explains why i had low mileage (30k) transmission issue's on my 04. it was repaired under warranty.

i am not easy on vehicles. but i thought that was an exception on my 04.

now my 07, gen 2 ?????

maybe it is me, but i own or have owned (some high mileage)other vehicles that never

had a repeated trans problem.

as far as the lease, it is a commercial fleet lease and yes i can file any complaint as a regular consumer, but i choose to let my experience assist in future vehicle choice.

Just make the dealer do the valve body repair..... IT fixes it....

Some one posted the repair paper work from ford a while back for all the parts and stuff..

Todd Z

This happened to mine last year, and the dealer was in contact with Ford HQ. HQ had the dealer replace the valve body (they called it mechatronic assembly). This was May/June '07, and since then, I have not had this problem. I aslo have not had to disconnect my battery to "re-learn".

I've noticed on the last TSB or two that it now says not to replace the mechatronic assembly. Maybe the assembly/valve body IS the problem?

Gary,

You said you did the neg thing, have you tried taking both off, touching the terminals together and leaving it off the battery for about 30 min to an hr?

I'm wondering if maybe you didn't totally clear out the computer.

I did the both terminal thing and it's been about a month now for me and none of my issues have returned since doing the battery trick.

With the slipping I was having, Ford wanted to tear into the trans and maybe fiddle with the valve body. But since I've done this computer reset, that issue has never returned and I prob saved myself a waisted trip to the dealer.

desfox,

no didn't do both.

at this point i am done as it is my company vehicle and i am soon at lease end.

again, my frustation is that we have to do a possible self fix to correct a problem on a near 40k vehicle. not good

appreciate your concern, thanks :)

Unfortunately, my 07 ST has started having the same problem. I tried disconnecting the NEG terminal for about an hour but that did not change anything. One thing I have noticed is that if I hit the OD OFF button on the shifter before coming to a stop the trans acts normal. No "bumping". Otherwise, it will do it almost every time I come to a complete stop. I had no problems until about 18K miles. I will try the other battery disconnect method tonight. If that doesn't work it's off to the dealer. I have a noisy door hinge anyway. :(

The bumping thing may be a complete different issue....I haven't noticed something like that on mine....

I just had the rough shifting and the slipping after it sat for several hours going from park to drive or reverse.

I think by touching the cables together (off the battery) drains the memory completely since I had to reset my radio and clock after I connected the battery back up. Also had to reset my compass location and do the recalibrate for my area.

I didn't drive it like I stole it, but did drive it harder than I normally would for about two weeks. Since then, I've tried driving it really easy to see if any symptoms would return and so far they haven't.