The Gremlins found me

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day as I was driving home my ABS light started flashing, then the speedometer started jumping up and down. I stoped at a gas station to check everything but I did not see anything wrong, once I re-started the truck everything was back to normal. This has never happended to me before, I recently replaced the alternator and prior to that nothing like this had happened before. Should I be concerned or should I charge it to the Electrical Gremlins?

Thanks

Not to uncommon for the abs sensor in the rear differential to go bad and cause this, keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, if so then I would go ahead and change the sensor.

sorry, first post here but had to register because I had this exact same thing happen to me. It turned out to be a bad frame ground so I replaced the negative battery terminal connector and ensured everything was connected solid. Viola! Back in business. Hope yours is as simple as this.

Scott,

Didnt you say the rear sensor should read, 1600 to 2000 ohms' ?

We never did fix my freinds '94 Ranger. He just pulled the abs fuses. Let it go.

The rear sensor on the ST will be somewhere in the 800-2500ish ohm range, most ones I have checked are around 1200 ohms but ohms testing doesn't mean nuthin, I have replaced a ton of these sensors that have ohmed out ok but still been faulty. Checking the ac output voltage of the sensor is the only way to go. Ohms testing has to be the single most useless test there is for an electricial circuit, after all why would you want to check the circuit when it isn't working...who cares, it's how the circuit performs when doing work that I'm interested in.

so today the only the speedometer was acting up same thing jumping up and down, I have not had time to check ground but will do tonight and will update tomorrow

thanks all

That has been tied to a bad altornator or battery in the ST......

Todd Z