The infamous rough idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 3 months ago my 03 sporttrac broke a lifter spring with 72,000 miles on it. I decided after much research to just put in a new crate engine. It has a new engine with new radiator, all new hoses, plugs and plug wires, fuel injectors, pretty much all new accessories that go with the motor.

My sporttrac has had that little rough idle that everyone has always talked about since the day it was new. had it diagnosed numerous times as others have with no codes.

SInce the new motor was installed it runs great, just like it did before, but still has that same little miss when idling. I've cleaned the IAC also.

THe question...do these motors have an overhead cam and could this just be the nature of the beast?

Is there anyone out there with this old of a sporttrac that doesn't have that rough idle?

THat miss has bugged me since I have owned the thing. :smile0003: Other than that I love it.

THanks!!!

The 4.0 is a single over head cam motor......

But it should idle smooth.... Both my st's idle to this day as if they are not running. IF it was not for the exhaust most of the time I would not know...

Maybe a vaccume line was not hooked up or something is crossed..... Could be a bad spark plug or wire......

there are ways to diagnose it, checking injectors, wires, plugs...

Todd Z

Latest posts