The One That Got Away - Cars You Wish You'd Bought

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T. 440b engine, edlebrock highriser, 950 cmf Holly 3 barrel. Sold it for $1800 to my neice's boyfriend.

[Broken External Image]:

In 1979 I could've bought a nice '67 427 Corvette coupe for $4500 but I was in college and couldn't afford the insurance. (The car itself I could afford.) These days nice ones are worth $200k and 427 ragtops even more.

A 68 Chevy Camaro SS with a 69 corvette 327 cid engine bored out 60 over ,TH 400 Trans w/9 inch converter ,12 bolt rear with 31 spline axle w/4.56 GR & a 69 Pontiac Tempest 2D SD with a Pontiac 400 cid engine . I was 18 at the time and Should have never listened to my parents on selling them...:(

'69 Camaro SS. Had 396 bored .030 over, agressive cam, windage tray, 4bbl Holley double-pumper, accell ignition, muncie rockcrusher, 12-bolt posi rear end with 4.11s and very heavy custom traction bars, steel cowl induction hood, interior and exterior very good nice- no putty or rust, factory fold-down rear seat, 400-watt sound system, etc. Ran like a scared-ass rabbit. Had a set of mounted Hoosier racing slicks with it.

Let it go to another buyer (a buddy) for $2,000 in 1984.

We had a blast with that car.

I posted this a few months back, but it fits in with this thread. A guy I know let a '64 GTO get away... because he traded it on a brand new '65 Shelby GT350--That he still owns to this day!:cool:

Here are the detail from my previous posting:

Back in July, I entered my STA in a county fair car show. While looking around at the other entrants, I noticed a car I hadn't seen in over two decades. Around 25 years ago, one of my high school buddies owned a couple of Mustangs that we would show. While doing so, we became acquainted with a guy in our town that was showing his '65 Shelby GT350. He was the original owner, and it was unrestored. Needless to say, it was a beautiful car.

Flash-forward 25 or so, and I run into him again at the show. He's now in his late '60's, and still owns and shows the Shelby. It is still unrestored, showing only about 40,000 miles on the odometer. The only things he's replaced over the decades are normal tune-up preventive maintenance items like plugs/points, battery, etc. Other than that, he had to have the transmission rebuilt because he tore it up racing the GT350 at Elkhart Lake, WI in the '60's. The paint, chrome, interior, and overall condition of the vehicle look like it just rolled out of the showroom! He had a display with the car containing the original window sticker and his original purchase contract. And get this: On the original contract, it stated that he traded a '64 GTO in on the Shelby! So this guy has owned two pieces of automotive history.

The window sticker showed an MSRP of around $4700. I asked him what it was worth now, and he said that he'd talked to Barrett-Jackson reps about it. He sent them an information sheet on the car and they called and talked to him. They told him that they could get between $350,000 and $500,000 for it. Well, he then he also informed them that he was the original owner, and the only remaining original owner of a '65 GT350 in the country. After they regained their breath, they told him that it would probably go for around (Dr. Evil pinky-to-mouth pose) $1,000,000.

He's not going to sell, just wanted to know what it was worth. He's already got it in his will that the car goes to his son.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, so no pictures.

And for what it's worth, he still drives this car to shows. It's not a trailer queen!

So he let one classic get away ('64 GTO), but I think that he came out on the better end of the deal with the '65 Shelby.

Lexus GS300. Bought a Mitsubishi Diamante instead. The Diamante was a very good car, but depreciated like it had been dropped from a cliff.

Last edited by a moderator: