The plug outlet in the truck bed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where do I get the necessary plug to make this neat feature useful in running a small fridge or something like that? The plug appears round and not typical for accessories to plug in like you would plug into a wall outlet. Please forgive me as I'm still trying to learn this new site, and I'm working on topic searches. Football season is ending, but I can still enjoy the plug feature when I'm at the beach right?

(I know not fair to say when you guys are getting hammered by snow and ice storms but that's why I don't live next door to you all!:D )

Thanks!

You can get a Koolatron fridge that will work right off the 12V outlet in your bed. I use one of these for my work and it works quite well.

A power inverter will allow you to run small electrical items.. I charge my laptop/cameras when on trips with one.

You are referring to an item called an inverter..

Like this one for example...

7ba77dc2b32412fd01b7f804a37e663d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JD and coastie I think you got it. Keep - You will have to make sure the one you get has enough wattage to run the appliance you want to run.

Correct me if I have this wrong but you can only run a 240 watt inverter from the plug in the tail gate.

20 amps (the fuse is 20 amps I believe) * 12 volts = 240 watts.

You could always run another fused line back there and pull more power from the battery but you can not use the current wiring as it is rated for 20 amps. Of course, your battery will not run the inverter very long if it is large.

On my camping trips, I keep two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries in the bed of the truck with a 400 watt inverter. This powers everything we need and will last all weekend. When I return home, I charge the batteries for next trip.

That inverter you show is EXACTLY the same one I already own, so that will work great. The charging of camera batteries is a pretty good idea too.

Thanks all !!!

I know my kids ran a small televison and the ps2 on that outlet with an inverter..for sometime before they blew the fuse! :angry::).... the best pay back from me to them was letting them THINK the electrical was ruined (in their minds) for like an hour. :lol:

just wanted to share the funny story about the use of the inverter :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small 12 volt fridge that I frequently plug into the bed outlet. Works so nice! [Broken External Image]:

My bed outlet appears to not work :(

Tomorrow, or later today actually, I will attempt to find the problem.

2 outta 3 (outlets) IS bad.

(especially when I was considering a portable power winch)

(especially when I was considering a portable power winch)

Kevin, I would run a separate power set up for the winch.... the wiring for that outlet in the bed is not very ample.

I tried to run the charge line for my camper off that plug and the voltage drop was to much, I didn't get any charging on the camper battery at all.

gp

and running another line would actually work, unlike my bed plug. I totally forgot to check it out today :( I was dead tired, and annoyed over 17.39 mpg.

**and that I had to waste a 72 degree day taking care of loose ends inside places :(

The Cigarette Lighter and OBDII are on their own fuse, and BOTH the bed and in-cabin "power point" are on their own fuse, fuse 17, right?

I just replaced that fuse when I blew it earlier--used a "smart fuse"--and the interior one works, though its position on the high console sucks IMO, but still no luck with the bed one.

Glad I didn't need that 300 amp jumpstarter that I had charging off of that plug, because it apparently wasn't charging ;) "This thing has been at 75% since I plugged it in a week ago!"--I should have known, but I wanted to miss the signs of something being wrong with my trac. Carmax's X point auto inspection really leaves MUCH to be desired.

Latest posts