The plugs and wires have been changed.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Well, after 56,000 miles, I changed my spark plugs.

The job was not as hard as everyone made it out to be. I was expecting to be cursing up one side and down the other. It wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't no 4 banger where the plugs are right on top of the engine, but I have seen worse.

Some vehicles have coil packs over each plug. Removing them can be a pain in the butt. Some vehicles, mainly GM's you have to remove motormounts to jack the engine up to get to the plugs.

Here is what I used. For the wiress I used Taylor wires. Taylor-Vertex makes fantastic wires. I rate them right up with Magnecore. Unfortunatly, Magnacore wires are very expensive and hard to find. Taylor wires are inexpensive and are great performing. They are very soft and will remin that way. They do not harden up like others do. Whenever possible, I try to run Taylor wires on my vehicles.

For the plugs, I will use nothing but Motorcraft. I have tried SplitFire, Bosch Platinum and the +4, Heck, I have even used Beru Silverstones in the past. None have performed any better then Motorcraft plugs. Why spend the extra money on something that doesn't benefit you any?

For indexing washers, I used Moroso indexing washers. If you don't know what indexing plugs are, here is the scoop. The washers help you point the plug in the proper direction in the combustion chamber.

Since the 4.0L SOHC engine has Aluminum heads, I used Anti-seeze. If it were to have had a cast iron head, I would have used engine oil. (I learned that the hard way. I had a 1977 Maverick with a 250 CI I6. I used anti-seeze to prevent the plugs from getting stuck in the head. The anti-seeze would allow the plug to vibrate loose. So after a moth of driving or so, I had to tighten the plugs.)

I made sure I used plenty of Dielectric grease on the plug boots and the coil boots. Everything is nicely sealed.

Over all, I am glad I changed the plugs out. They needed changed. My idle has smoothed out, and I know when my Trac hits 100,000 miles, I will be able to remove the old plugs without a problem.

If anyone is interested, I can post pictures of the finished job.

Tom

Tom, if you could post pictures that would be great. Im going to change mine soon, my trac has almost 55k on it now. I know there are other pics up, but the more the better. thanks. Conrad.

Tom...I have indexed plugs on race and high compression motors of the old days. I dont believe for street motors of today, you will see that much difference, in HP. Dont take it wrong I commend you for having the time to do it..:D

Are the Taylor-Vertex wires spiralcore? What is the resistance per foot?

The best way to change the back plug is jack the vehicle up by the frame, and remove the pass tire.... and remove the inner fender trim if equipped

I did mine (plugs and wires) , I did not index due the slight increase gained, in about 2 hours start to finish.....

I am no small guy either...

Todd Z

Eddie,

I know indexing plugs doesn't do much. I still do it anyway. I started doing it on our old motorhome. It weighed 13,000 LBS and we were able to get 10 MPG out of it. Before the plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and indexing the plugs, we got between 8.5 and 9 MPG.

If I am able to do it, I usually do.

Tom

Just changed my pluggs on Friday and I will not ever again wait till 90K too change plugs. Those suckers did not want to come out. Ripped two plug boots and my hands have never been so cutup. This was on an 01 job 1. Went with Autolite Double Plats and Taylor wires. Alrady tell a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indexing plugs does make a difference on OMC's, (Out Boards). It has to do with the fuel injection. The injectors were hitting the back side of the spark plug and not going into the gap. OMC finally figured out that the fuel was creating rapid wearing of the plug losing performance of the spark plug in 10 to 15 hours of operation.

By indexing the plug the performance jumped to 50 hours. At 50 hours they suggest checking them. I have seen them go much longer since indexing the plug.

Here are a few pictures of of my wires.

Tom

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts