There. Got my EMS lights rewired.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Four years ago, I retired as an assistant chief from EMS after 27 years. The thing is, I never got around to removing the red-and-white emergency lights and siren from my personal vehicle. They're all "undercover," so it's not like I had a light bar on the roof.

Well, I'm rejoining the department. I removed the Opticom from behind the grill, which changes the traffic lights to green, which left me with a spare switch. So I rewired the remaining lighting to make better use of available switches.

The siren and relay system is mounted under the back seat and the control head is in the glove box. It's about twenty years old, but it works fine. All the lighting are strobes and LEDs, but I do have a flasher and diodes connected to alternate the rear fog light and backup light on the Waag rear bumper guard.

Fortunately, all the changes could be made at the relay box by moving 22-gauge control wires around.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Lucky you! I am not allowed to run a siren in my POV. but i am planning on train horns :grin:

looks good.

our EMS department allows us to run green lights. I used to use them a lot but I have stopped. most people dont know what I am and dont bother to move over. Now I am just running Blue for the fire department. But I cant use them for EMS runs. I am going away from strobes as well. All LED for me now. Its just easier.

Had a "save" the other night. I got some time to get away from school friday so I headed back home. while in the town over from mine, I heard a request for a mutual aid ambulance from my corps to respond to the town and location I was in. Dispatch was - "20 year old female, unconscious, agonal resp's, but has a pulse. found unconscious by her family." usually I would not have done what i did, but the police in that town were screaming for medical help so I radio'ed the dispatcher and requested permission to respond. Got permission as I was pulling up. I found her pale, not breathing, very weak pulse. I cleared her airway, dropped a nasal airway, started administering rescue breaths. At that time family denied drug use except for Tylenol 4s and (2) 40 oz beers. I suspected more, looked for track marks, found nothing. had the police look at the legs for tracks, nothing. then she started bleeding from the nose so I suspected she was possibly snorting heroin. medic pulled up, he too suspected narcotics, dropped some narcan. we packaged her, and by the time we arrived at the hospital (<5 min) she was up and talking! pretty cool.

Thats pretty impressive Mike! Your response probably saved her life. Nothing like being in the right place at the right time!

Thanks Lunchbox! when i pulled up the cops basically cheered me on lol. They, and the family were happy to see me. It is a great feeling to help in a dire situation. this wasn't the first, and wont be the last unfortunately. Overdoses are never a pretty situation. especially with family around

mike i dont understand how u cant have a siren i think that is an nfpa standard to have audible and visual warning. u are lucky to have blue in Louisiana blue is for law enforcement only no exception

mark welcome back to the fun

nice to know thier are other "whackers" on here. :banana:

From Ct myself as well. just started putting all my crap into my ST. been wiring up lights and sirens for about 15 years now. we should make a separate board on here just for Public Safety equipment mods: lights, sirens, radios, ect.

right now i have a Sound Off Signal dual Pilot above my RVM, green LED hideaways in corner lights, wig wags, clear LED hideaways in my backup lights and red LED hideaways in my brake lights.

still have to add the grille lights as well as a Whelen D6 to the front over the RVM and a D8 to the back window as well as my dual siren, 2 way rados, center console w/ switchbox, and scanner.

i will try and put pics up as well as probe you experienced ST guys for some pointers for installs. :driving:

I used to sell alternating hi-lo air horns to emergency personnel who couldn't have sirens. They're Wolo #416. Rather than operating from the horn button, they're connected to a standard switch so they operate continuously. I have a set on my ST and often used to use them instead of the 100-watt siren. They moved traffic so much better.

[Broken External Image]:

Go to www.wolo-mfg.com, click on "AIR HORNS," and scroll down to #416. There's a wav file there. They cost about $105.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice save Mike. I am a volunteer EMT in NJ. I would LOVE to see any projects regarding emergency lighting. The Wolo air horns just might be my next project as NJ does not allow sirens. BTW - I do have a blue LED dash light stuck to my window behind my rearview that clears traffic fairly well, even during the day. We are allowed to use blue or white (not red) in NJ. I mostly respond at night and would like to add some side flashers for when I come to intersections so side traffic can see me and (hopefully) yield.

I used to sell Able 2 (Sho Me) products to volunteers with a healthy discount, shipping, and a small handling charge. I'd be willing to do it again if people were interested. Prices tended to be about half of what's shown on the website.

nice to know thier are other "whackers" on here.

From Ct myself as well. just started putting all my crap into my ST. been wiring up lights and sirens for about 15 years now. we should make a separate board on here just for Public Safety equipment mods: lights, sirens, radios, ect.

right now i have a Sound Off Signal dual Pilot above my RVM, green LED hideaways in corner lights, wig wags, clear LED hideaways in my backup lights and red LED hideaways in my brake lights.

still have to add the grille lights as well as a Whelen D6 to the front over the RVM and a D8 to the back window as well as my dual siren, 2 way rados, center console w/ switchbox, and scanner.

i will try and put pics up as well as probe you experienced ST guys for some pointers for installs.

spankerrrrr lol. j/k man. I used to have 6 strobes, wig wags, and LEDs in the S/T. I sold my S/T not too long ago and now have a superduty but I only put my Blue slimlighter in it for now. More to come once I get everything. where in CT are you from? I am in Shelton. I volunteer for Echo Hose ambulance coprs and I am a member of Shelton Fire department Co #3.

mike i dont understand how u cant have a siren i think that is an nfpa standard to have audible and visual warning. u are lucky to have blue in Louisiana blue is for law enforcement only no exception

POV lighting depends on the state you are in. for example here in NE, green is EMS or a command post vehicle, but in western states it is like FBI or something crazy. in florida green is security.

Blue is pretty much volunteer firefighter or police vehicle everywhere. some states, Red is police and volunteer firefighter only.

there are lots of differences

In CT sirens are for true emergency vehicles. our POVs are not considered true emergency vehicles. the lights we use, although some guys have more lights than a firetruck, are called "courtesy lights" to let other drivers know we are responding to an emergency. They technically have a choice to yield to us or not. the ones that dont I always ask if they would want others to yield if it was their home or loved one in need.:fire: We are also not supposed to break any laws of the road, i.e. speeding, running red lights. I admit, if traffic yields to me, I do go through intersections. But I am Veryyyyy cautious. I have gotten in trouble before but the officers know the deal so it was more or less a slap on the wrists. That is why recently I have stopped using my lights every time I respond to the firehouse or to the scene. I will only drive like a bat out of hell for confirmed structure fires, MVAs with persons trapped, or trapped with confirmed car fire. EMS I drive like it like I stole it for confirmed cardiac arrests, or respiratory arrests, or persons struck by a MV. I also have had police cars yield to me which is cool. but most of them wont pull over for me. Cops in my town dont like the FD, but they like EMS :argue:

Nice save Mike. I am a volunteer EMT in NJ.

cool - where abouts? I used to date a girl from Mawah. nice fire school up there. White/clear lights are a big no no for us here.

I used to sell alternating hi-lo air horns to emergency personnel who couldn't have sirens. They're Wolo #416. Rather than operating from the horn button, they're connected to a standard switch so they operate continuously. I have a set on my ST and often used to use them instead of the 100-watt siren. They moved traffic so much better.

I have heard they are not loud. I take it they are? I will probably go with train horns anyways because they are insane :grin:

I have heard they are not loud

They're not as loud as a train horn, but I can hear them coming from a mile away. At one point, six of us were using them instead of sirens. Made for a very cool thing to hear coming while waiting at the station.

Found a Wolo air horn set on eBay for $20. It's the national Wolo warehouse that's selling it. It says "used," but all the switches, relays, and air hose looks like it's in the original packaging.

They're also selling new 120 watt, 6 tube hide-away strobe kits for $90 each.

Mahwah? I'm sitting (working) in Mahwah right now. I have a great commute over 10 miles of local county backroads and drive past the Bergen County training facility on my way to work and home. I've taken a few courses there as well.

Mahwah - the girls are hot and the fire school is cool.

My biggest hesitation in getting LED's is that I am trying to devise a simple, low profile switch for the interior, possibly on the blanks in front of the transmission shifter, and I want to use LED's that make sense for the Trac. Plus they are so damn expensive. I don't want to go with the older strobes for many reasons. Some of the suggestions here look pretty good, so I'll start planning (again).

:eek:nline:

Mike-Ct, that does sound like a nice setup you had. i should know, i installed it in your truck (my truck now). LMAO

I'm pondering whether I should reinstall my Opticom power supply and connect it to the corner strobe in the left front turn signal housing. Hmmmm.

Well here in Illinois.

Internally only blue light

Externally, only Blue grill lights

and

Wags, in the headlights.

So to me that means no light in the rears. and no sirens.

No hazards lights allowed

You must carry a letter with contact info for your department. and/or ID.

Also you can't run traffic lights or stops sign, and no speeding.

Latest posts