There's a vole in my filter, dear Liza...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
So earlier in the month, my wife started to notice some small flecks of paper appearing under her Explorer (non-Sport Trac). We were both a bit confused by it, but dismissed it as being remnants of one of our four year old daughter's art projects that had been spilled.

Today, during routine maintenance, she went to change the air filter--and found that about a third of it had been chewed away, turned into a vole nest! There was a nice little pocket in there, about the size of a large apple, with all the filter paper chewed away, and a bunch of grass and straw had been transported into the hole to form the nest.

Out of curiosity, we also then check the filter on my Sport Trac. Sure enough, I have one too--only larger! Mine was the size of a large grapefruit!

We cleaned all the debris out of both, replaced both filters, and set traps in the garage. And we've already caught two of them!

Any good ideas on how to prevent them from getting in in the future? I suspect it involves adding a screen--should it go on the intake end, or can it go right in front of the filter?

Also, what might have happened to our vehicles as a result of this? Neither of us noticed any performance issues. The filters were not completely breeched--there was still a solid barrier preventing either the voles or the debris from penetrating further. Anything we should check? Or do we just move on, with the new filters and the traps in the garage?

Thanks!

with what shall you fix it.... dear henry... dear henry... with what shall you fix it, dear henry with what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read or saw on the news were these voles were taking over some areas due to a lack of farming fields being turned over for new crops because of the decline of agriculture. Voles are normally a very small population but in some areas completely out of control. By the way these are not the same as moles that live under ground. Voles live like a mouse out in the fields and apparently have a preference for automotive air filters. LOL