thermostat housing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Sanchez

Reaction score
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has had problems with the thermostat housing, leaking coolant. Is there a project for changing the thermostat housing. I have coolant leaking from the housing.

J.J,

in the projects section there is a project on changing it.... IT is not hard to do...

The gasket is a rubber O-Ring

Todd Z

Eric, I just replaced my Thermostat, but I also changed the coolent in the radiator. When I got the housing apart, there wasn't any coolent in there. So if I was to guess, you wouldn't have to replace to much. Maybe a quart or two.;)

Thanks, stonemiser.

I'm going to be replacing my factory t-stat with a Stant, and all the "official" instructions I've seen for replacing a t-stat say to completely drain the coolant first. Seems like overkill to me.

I'm wondering just how much coolant will actually escape when removing the housing.

Eric, depending on how many miles is on it, (mine had 74K miles) it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change it out. My total cost (and 1 hour of my time) was $50.;)

I had a coolant flush done about 10K miles ago, so that's not an issue for me. I just don't want to make a big mess changing the thermostat. :)

If the thermostat HOUSING is leaking and not the cover, it is a bit of a pain. I had this problem and so did another member down here is sofla. I beleive the t-stat housing is two pieces of plastic that are glued together. If you take a look at the housing(not the cover), you'll see the seam.

In order to change the housing you are supposed to remove the intake manifold, hoses and whatnot in the area. If I can find the details I'll post. You can get away without removing the intake as I did but you have to be careful as there are two sensors in the housing, and some tabs on the bottom that can break. The housing is also a special order part as I could not find it locally and it had to be ordered. fastpartsnetwork.com has the part listed for 56 bucks

but the pic is an illustration and not clear. If you look around you may be able to find it cheaper.

I'll take a pic and post when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts