Things to ponder. (07+ V8)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo

Reaction score
Okay... I had an '05 Mustang GT in the shop today. I carefully perused the engine compartment. On our trucks, there is a stupid clutch fan, but with an electric clutch. *scratches head*

On the Stang, there was an electric fan. The connector was the same. I'm sure the actual wiring going to the plug was different, but I'll know in 2 days when my Mustang wiring manual arrives and I can compare it to my ST wiring manual.

I have had several at-length discussions with the engineers at Perma-Cool and Flex-A-Lite, and we've never figured out a way to mount an e-fan on an ST without issues. I think I may have found the key.

Would any of y'all want to do this if I figure out how?

An electric fan would be awesome IMO. Always favored the Electric over the clutch driven ones. In the summer you can seriously feel the fan engaged when going form a stop at a traffic light. It really roars!

I'm curious. The elelctric clutch seems odd, I thought fan clutches were centrifugal.

Also months ago you were talking about trying some underdrive pulleys. Did you try them? Did they make much of a difference?

Geoff, I've had underdrive pulleys for around 8 months. I've also done lots of other things.

Geoff, if i'm not mistaken fan clutches are usually thermal controlled. There is a mechanism in the fan clutch that makes it engage/disengage in varying amounts depending on the temperature.

lol! The wire to the fan isn't even supported. Unplug it and it falls with a dull thud.

There are also a crapload of wires on the passenger's side of the engine compartment that I relocated. I didn't much like them being 1/16" from the fan blades.

Ford is getting weird on their tolerances. I had an '05 GT in my shop yesterday, and there was literally 1/16" of clearance between the wheel spokes and the calipers. You curb one of those babies and no telling what would happen...

Latest posts