Thinking about trading the trac.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom G

Reaction score
Well i am thinking about trading my 04 Trac XLT Premium for a 03 350Z.

What do you guys think of this deal? Is the dealer low balling me on the trade?

Trade in for the trac $18,000 (40Kmiles)

03 350Z Touring $23,000 (11K miles)

Let me know your thoughts. I am so confused.

Thanks

Tom

The real question is, do you need the ST as a truck? Do you use it to haul or tow? Or even carry people? The 350 can only carry two people at a time.

I'm a big fan of Nissan sports cars, but I'd get the G35 over the 350. The G35 is just more practical, slightly better built, and usually with more options for the same price.

Drooling ... the Z is my next car since I've owned several Zs in the past. Check www.nadaguide.com for the values of both vehicles. I did a quick run of your two vehicles w/out clicking any options and looks like the dealer is giving you a fair deal according to NADA.

Tiger, I thought the G35 and 350 are built on the same exact profile ... just the Z is the "sports" car while the G35 is the streamlined, luxury-look model. So build is same and last time I looked they were only cosmetically different.

I looked at the G35 although it is a bit more practical it costs about 10K more than the 350.

I still like the trac but ever since I bought it I have been drooling over the Z. I am also going to be getting married in a year and a half so I know this is probably my last chance to have a sports car for a while.

Ever since I sold my GTI for the trac i regreted not having a sports car. Even though i lowered, and put 20's on the trac it just isn't the same.

I sold my G35 for my ST. Had too many times when I needed to haul something and missed having a truck. Also, I got tired of keeping the G35 pristine. Not that I don't take care of my ST, but mud & dirt are a part of life with kids and dogs and I can at least accept it on occasion with the ST. If I could have two cars I would add a sports car, but to have one car that has to do everything, the G35 didn't cut it for me. Sure do drive nice though. Good luck with your decision.

go to this site it has become a new site on my desk top my wall paper on my desk top is a black 350Z and the best part is my wife just asked if it would be ok as our third car i or my wife is in trouble.:lol:

Not sure where you guys are getting the price between the G35 and 350 ... just looked on Edmunds again and they're in the same price range. The Z touring convertible is listed between 35 and 41K while the G35 (non convertible) is listed between 31 and 34K.

Tiger, true on the "sedan" vice the "coupe" ... thought we were comparing same types, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken-

No, not really.

The G35 has two more seats then the Z.

In Japan, the G35 is sold as a Skyline 350 GT and the 350Z as the Fairlady. The Skyline is the better equipped version. The Skyline is king to Nissan in Japan. Compare the two side by side and you'll see the differences, the 350Z will use cheaper grade plastics and cheaper trims. Similar here, Infiniti is the luxury brand of Nissan and the vehicles are expected to be of a certian grade, that's why the G35 is sold as an Infiniti and not a Nissan, it's slightly better all around (trim wise...performance is a shoot-out)

New, a similarly equipped G35 will usually sell for less then a 350Z, as you have to add much to the Z, which is more expensive, just to get to the level of the G35.

I was reading Motor Trend a month ago while waiting for my son while he was getting his braces adjusted and read about how they're gonna start selling the new replacement to the skyline here in the US; however, the price of it would command it going to a "known" luxury brand which is why they'll sell it under Infiniti brand vice Nissan. However, the article said it was only for marketing due to the price range it would be in.

Again, I know cosmetically the G35 is more refined because it was meant to be while the 350Z is the more raw, sports-car look of the two. Oh well, they both rock and make me drool ... for collector purposes and my past experience with the Zs, I'll get the Z.

Quick check of auto site does show the G35 coupe w/longer wheelbase and few inches taller. The G has more refined looks while the Z has a bit more horsepower and raw look. Still a toss-up really if you're not a strictly Z guy, both beautiful cars. You're a lucky dude bpoche :D

Eh...it's all marketing. A fully loaded Z tops out way on up there, espically if you get the convert.

It's the same way with nearly all brands that sell two similar cars under two names and brands...the higher brand gets the better stuff. Look at the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Naigator. People are willing to pay more for a vehicle sold under a certian name then others. Ford ran into that problem with the GT....people had problems swallowing a $150,000 entry price for a Ford. VW has the same problem with the Phaeton...it's just more money then what people are willing to pay for a VW.