Thinking of moving into a Honda Ridgeline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my Trac for towing, so the fwd on the HRL is out. Also, no V8 in the HRL means I have no interest in them. I know the HRL is supposed to be competitor to the Trac, but I cant really see where. The new Trac is a home run, the RL is like a bunt that barely gets you to first base with........2 outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
great points Tom, and the others. I think my main concern is if I decide to buy a used HRL through a dealer here in the Toronto area, I really could run into problems of not exactly knowing what work/recalls, etc, have been done. I am useless at fixing a clogged drain let alone a truck! Also, because I put on about 30k a year, a high mileage vehicle is not ideal for me in terms of driving to the ground.

Good advice on the V8 ST'S as well. I have to meet with my dealer in the next month or so to see what, if anything, Ford Canada will offer me on a sued truck if I decide to go that route. I love some options on my ST like the back glass, and even if the Honda has one as well, I don't think it's a full one. Keep the comments coming and thanks!

After driving both the V6 and V8 versions of the Gen 2 ST, I'm afraid I would even consider a 6 cylinder. No grunt. I want grunt! :wub:

Not meaning to throw a log into the fire, but considering you don't do much for towing or hauling, have you thought of the Subaru Baja? (not sure if they have em in Canada)

great points Tom, and the others. I think my main concern is if I decide to buy a used HRL through a dealer here in the Toronto area, I really could run into problems of not exactly knowing what work/recalls, etc, have been done. I am useless at fixing a clogged drain let alone a truck! Also, because I put on about 30k a year, a high mileage vehicle is not ideal for me in terms of driving to the ground.

Good advice on the V8 ST'S as well. I have to meet with my dealer in the next month or so to see what, if anything, Ford Canada will offer me on a sued truck if I decide to go that route. I love some options on my ST like the back glass, and even if the Honda has one as well, I don't think it's a full one. Keep the comments coming and thanks!

I think this is a timely bump considering end-of-life for the ST :crying:

I hate to defect from Ford, but my '01 ST dieded and now I'm suddenly in the market for another one. Limited choices for new trucks (only 1 ST at dealerships in the Northern Virginia area and its a STA). Loved my ST for hauling kids and sports equipment securely and the open bed. Those are my only requirements, towing doesn't impress me but I need the tow mount to carry 4 bikes ;) I'm hesitant about buying an '07 or '08 ST so the only other choices I can see are the Avalanche/Escalade (too much $$$) or the Ridgeline.

Time to go test drive a Honda (never thought I'd say those words). :banghead:

Ray, I hate to say it, but my father in law had a Dodge Dakota 4 door, and it can come with a V8. Always loved my fords, but if they dont have a small 4 door truck, I may have to look elsewhere when its time for me to replace mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR says:

Ford has done a great job in improving relability in the new generation STs, and make them ride a whole heck of a lot better. If you do decide on an ST, steer clear of the V8, because for watever reason Ford seems to have many more tranny issues with the V8 than the V6.

Personally, given all the new generation ST tranny issues, and the high incident rate of the tranny issues on the previous generation STs, I probably would buy the RL over the ST, if buying new, again, tomorrow. Of course, if I knew I was only going to keep the vehicle for 70k miles, I might chance the ST if it was a GREAT deal.

My '07 Trac (Job 1, V8, 4x4) has had NO (zero) problems with its transmission. However, the brakes have been crappy with several trips to the dealer, the door seals leak (wind noise), the OEM Michelins were bald at 22k, and the stereo failed. However, the V8s is what makes the Trac- It has such a sweeter sound and smoother power than my '03 Adrenalin had.

The Ridgeline seems lighter duty, but my dad beats the crap out of his off road at the farm, and it hasn't a squeak or shudder anywhere. He abuses it but yet his only went back to the dealer once for a leaky windshield. Hondas are very well-built vehicles. I drive it every now and then, and it has a great ride and decent power. My only complaint is the door entry is a little smaller, and I have to duck more to get in the Ridgeline than I do in my Trac. However, I will say it is one tough little truck.

First, I want to mention that I laugh whenever somebody calls a Ranchero or El Camino a truck.

That being said, I think both of those vehicles are more truck than the Ridgeline. Rear wheel drive and a V8 mean more to me than the size of the bed or the total height of the vehicle.

So, when somebody calls the Ridgeline a truck, you can imagine my hysteria.

Then, I also think they're really ugly. Just my opinion. Not to offend owners of Rancheros, El Caminos, Ridgelines, or any other cars with open air storage.

Funny Hugh, I remember how many folks called the Sport Trac ugly when it hit the scene.

You'll forgive me if I'm looking for a truck (or car) that meets my needs instead of impressing the neighbors. As a Gen1 owner, I've earned the right for feeling that Ford has let me down and instead of putting in reliable engines, used a ticking time bombs. I maintained my truck well and had hopes of it hitting 200k, instead it looks like I may be driving a funny-looking "foreign" car/truck past service shops loaded with broken-down Fords.

It amazes me people seem to think a car or truck will go 200,000 miles without experiencing some problems.

It amazes me people seem to think a car or truck will go 200,000 miles without experiencing some problems.

Does replacing an engine fall into an acceptable problem? Really?

Drove both the '10 STA and '11 Ridgeline this morning. Loved the feel and sound of the V8 STA and it certainly was much refined over the original job 1. Ridgeline felt more car-like but comparable.

I don't trust the ST (which were $3k more than the Ridgeline RTL with Navi) and very limited selection, a grand total of 5 ST Limited and 2 STA located in mid-Atlantic. 300 dealers checked. No ST Limited near DC, the 2 I was interested in were up in PA/DE.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend anyone. Seems I accidentally hit a nerve. I apologize.

Ridgeline felt more car-like but comparable.

I wouldn't criticize anyone for their vehicle choice if it suits their needs. If you stay on pavement, front wheel drive is fine. If you don't carry heavy loads or tow, a solid rear axle is not a must. Based on price, your needs, and previous experiences, I would expect you to buy a Ridgeline. If you need a car with open-air storage, this is the vehicle for you.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't like the Ridgeline. Honestly, I don't really like the Gen2 STs. All that means is that my opinion on the looks of these vechicles would keep me from buying them. I don't care what ugly vehicle you buy. If the Scion xB suits your needs, go for it. I won't lie and tell you that its cool and edgy, though.

The Ridgeline serves zero of my needs (other than it could get me from city point A to city point B). I hunt and trail ride. Never seen a Ridgeline used in either of those activities. The Gen2 ST rear axle is a no-go for me. I'm just enjoying the ST until Jeep makes a 4dr truck (I can dream).

And don't think I hate Honda or am a die-hard Ford guy (only kind of die-hard). My previous vehicle while I was in college was a V6 Accord LX. It was an incredible car and I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for that kind of vehicle.

The Ridgeline serves zero of my needs (other than it could get me from city point A to city point B). I hunt and trail ride. Never seen a Ridgeline used in either of those activities. The Gen2 ST rear axle is a no-go for me. I'm just enjoying the ST until Jeep makes a 4dr truck (I can dream).

My apologies as well. Nerves are short given the sudden loss of what was envisioned to be a dependable truck. Hope no one reading this thread has similar negative experience. You always thinks its going to happen to someone else until it happens to you.

Ordered a '11 Ridgeline today. Remove the brands and put the two trucks side by side and I would have bought the ST without question. Loved the feel of the truck and engine in the ST and the Honda is curtailed by basic niceties such as limited cargo tie-downs and a non-existent rear electric plug (how did they not include either). However, given this experience (and quite a few similar from what I gather on this board), it would be foolish for me to take a chance with another ST if I intended to drive it for 10+ years.

Hope the Ridgeline does all you need and without problems. My Accord had the transmission replaced around 200k miles and oil changes, brakes, tires, spark plugs, etc. were the only maintenance costs. I gave it to my 17 year old sister when I bought the ST. She totaled it two weeks ago with 230k miles and no significant signs of wear. I'm sure you'll love the Honda.

Thanks, sold the ST today AS-IS for $2,150. Had offers up to $2,500 but had already committed. I have cash in hand, a lot more than I expected so its all good!

Kids upset with me, that's the only vehicle they've ever known me to drive :cry: :boohoo:

Latest posts