Thinking of putting in overhead DVD monitor. Have some Issues.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting in an overhead monitor, however I have a few issues that I would like to get resolved and this is the place to ask. I have the factory sunroof so the overhead monitor would have to go on the hump in the headliner where the sunroof goes into. my problem is will it sag or cause damage to the headliner over some time. also can i even install it in that location with the sunroof option.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

patrick pierobon

I put mine right after the sunroof . My brakcet had 4 screww holes in each corner (total 16), I just put a screww for each one. No problems yet. I watch it when I pull it down, just to be careful, but I took it to the L'ville meet and my family and I, used it the whole time, without problems of wear down. Thers no sagging either. Another way is the the way Jeff C did it., he put washers in between in the headliner. ALso, the sunroof work perfectly fine. Have any other question, just post or email me.

ps.- I dont have a good pic right now of where it is, u might be ablt to tell from the pic but probably not. The ST is in the shop right now, so if you need pics, youll have to wait til end of week.

[Broken External Image]:

Everything Boodro said is pretty right on. I installed my screen with the sunroof option. I didn’t ask any questions though, I just needed to take it all apart and improvise a smart solution. I went to the hardware store and bought wall tie plates that were 4-5 inches in length and width. I used those to put my mounting screws through to spread out the weight over a larger surface area. This did spread the weight evenly and prevented sag, however there is a noticeable bounce/vibration when driving. My passengers say that they don’t even notice it while they are on the road, but I insist on making it right, so what I am going to do is re-do the job, but spread the weight of the screen even further across the head liner and maybe into some metal on either side of the roof or attaching to the frame of the sunroof. We will see how that turns out the next time I get into it.

Take a look in my library for some interior shots for placement, etc.

I have had the headliner out of my truck twice. I do not have a dvd or a sunroof but I was thinking you could take some 1/2in. plywood just larger than the dvd and glue it to the roof. Use a 2x4 to wedge it to let the glus dry. then put the headliner back and screw the dvd player to that. Just a thought.

Latest posts