Throttle Cable Vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Harwanko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I, as many others do, have that dreaded throttle cable vibration that occurs at 1500-2000 rpm. I think I may have found an easy solution. Open the hood. Look at where the throttle cable comes thru the firewall. ( to the left of the brake booster.) If yours is like mine, the plastic grommet fitting the cable to the firewall is loose and vibrates. I simply ran a zip tie around the throttle cable and the cable below it (cruise control?). Tighten it just enough to put tension on the grommet so that it does not move freely in the firewall. I did this yesterday and it has seemed to remedy the problem. Hope this helps.

DE-Trac, man you did it! I found the cables, zip tied them, plus put a small piece of dense foam around on of the cables where it lays against the Pwr Brake Booster. WOW, no more noise. This was on my list of things for the dealer to look, at since the resonance was so loud under load at 1500-1900 rpm, I thought it had to be something more complicated. How such a small cable, against the firewall, could be so loud astounds me still!

Now I also hear a tapping (low tone) from the right rear door area that initially I thought was the seat belt hitting against the B pillar, but I honestly think it is the cheap (looking and feeling anyway) windlace, weather stripping. etc....attached at the front inside edge of the

right rear door. I noticed that it somehow is a little more floppy, and less secure, than the one on the left rear door. The attachment plugs (what ever those non-screw, black plastic rivet looking things are called) won't bottom out and seem to be loose no matter how hard I press them in. Maybe weatherstrip adhesive would work?

I love this vehicle, (fits me well at 6' 5") but to be honest it is the worst gas mileage vehicle I have ever had. (12-14 mpg), and almost everything on the inside, has a slight rattle, vibration etc. I had a tape measure laying in the front well of the console (tall console) and a plastic water bottle in the cup holder (back one with the rubber insert) and you would have thought, I had a percussion section playing there. I wonder why Ford did not apply their "quiet metal" techniques to the Sport Trac like they did with F-150 thru F-350. (they are as quiet as a Lincoln) I don't think there are any gaskets, etc., between any mating surfaces on the ST.

Latest posts