Throttle response

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper S

Reaction score
Haven't posted for some time, but thought I'd let the Trac owners know of a small mod that has really enhanced the Trac's responsiveness. In my last post I complained about the lack low end-power and throttle reponse. I finally decieded to try something or anything to improve both. I added a KN filter and removed the filter box silencer. What a difference! At least now when I want to accelerate it doesn't waste time doing it. I was worried about the sucking sound or hiss that may come with the silencer removal, but no problem at all. Thanks for the insight from members of this website that made it happen.

Casper2,

Most people notice that same improvement in throttle response when they switch to a K&N filter and remove the air box silencer snorkle.

Another item that will improve throttle response is to take the slack out of the throttle cavle at the throttle body. You can also adjust the TPS (throttle Position Sensor) with a volt meter to get the fastest response from the engine when you step on the gas pedal.

Check the projects page, I think you will find the project to do that.

...Rich

how do u remove the the air box silencer? where is it? i have a replacement kn in the airbox, but i enver took anything other than the fractory filter out...sounds like i could benefit from losin the silencer. i just need to know how to do it...

thanks

andy

Andy when you remove the air filter look in the front side of the bax and you will see a horn shaped tube. this is the silencer. You can remove the headlight and take it out that way, or you can pry it out from the inside.. Getting the bottom of the air box out is a PITA if you have never don it before, but that makes it a lot easier..

Todd Z

Andy, Check the Projects. It's there and many more to facinate you also. My next improvement will be the throttle cable adjustment if needed. Just do a search on that back 180 days and you'll find lots of info ont hat. Good luck.

Yup...both the 3.0 and 4.0 Ranger engines use the same airbox and feature the same restrictive silencer. The I4 motor (last I knew) used a round air box, I'm not sure how to remove the silencer from that box.

Latest posts