Thumping in left front

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
I'm developing a thumping in the left front of the ST. It seems to increase with speed. I don't think it's brake related, as it still occurs under braking. It's there on both rough and smooth roads, so I'm thinking it's not shock related either. I thought of all the steering and suspension parts, but I have not usually related those to a thump(although I'm not sure about this)...

However, I do have 90000 miles on a set of Michelan LTX M/S tires. I know that's a lot of miles, but there is actually a lot of tread left. I checked the wheel weights, and there does not seem to be any missing. I'm thinking I have a belt starting to let go on the tire. I'm going to rotate the tires this weekend and see if there is a difference.

So my question.... What else, other that tires, would cause this type of thumping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you ruled everything out...

Now it is time to start checking every part you listed..

Could be any suspension part or a bad tire....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it would be the tire (maybe something stuck in it screw, nail, whatever or just the tire is damaged)

My guess would be either ball joints or a CV joint. The hubs do not unlock and the front driveline spins all the time.

Finally found it... An unbalanced tire... Checked everything mechanical and then rotated the tires. Problem went with the tire, so I had it balanced, and the problem is gone. It didn't throw a weight, so I didn't suspect that at 1st, but that's apperently what is was. Strange one... I'll be keeping an ear out to make sure the problem doesn't reappear.

While I was under the front, I pulled the front sway bar bushings and greased them too, as they were sqeaking a bit. Now all is quiet at/in the front!

Latest posts