time for new tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well, after about 2 and a half years and plenty of burning out, i think its time for new tires. I was planning on upgrading and getting something a bit bigger. I plan is getting some bf goodrich all terrains, but im just not too good with tires sizes. whats the difference between 265/70/16 and 265/75/16 size tires. I was planning on getting some tires in this range, i just dont know which are bigger, wider, etc. Thanks.

265/70/16

Sidewall 7.3"

Radius 15.3"

Diameter 30.6"

265/75/16

7.8"

15.8"

31.6"

Checkout the link if you want some other sizes (I know it's a miata site, blah blah did a google search and it was the first tire calculator that came up)

I just put a set of 265/70/16 BFG KO's on my trac. I love them compared to the junk stock ones! So much nicer. The truck handles so much nicer and the rain no longer bothers it. They fit great and I only had minor rub on the right rear tire against that inner wheel well. I had that with the factory tires! A little trimming cured that. Don't worry about them being taller either. My speedo was always ready faster than GPS reported. Now I am almost dead on.

What my experience has found is that if you do not have a 4x4 you do not need an A/T tire. I am extremely pleased with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's, and with all the wet weather we've had out here in Northern Calif. the wet weather tracktion has been great. The Alenza's are firm not stiff like the TOYO's we previously had. I feel we (I) made a very good choice. :D:D:D

Edit: Rich is right, I meant to say if you drive mainly on road with only dirt & gravel roads. I do recommend that you get tires that have a tire pressure higher than 35 lbs. max. in order to have a comfortable ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
My exerience is exactly the opposite of Rodger's. Without 4x4, if you don't have a good AT tire, the potential for getting stuck is much greater if you are off pavement. Firestone Wilderness AT and Pirelli Scorpion AT both served me well. Michelin Cross Terrains (highway tire) left me stuck more than once in the exact situation AT tires got me out of.

By off pavement, I mean: Trails, rough dirt roads, boat ramps, campgrounds, etc.

Latest posts