Time to figure out my cold idle issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd D

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals its time to figure this one out, its been going on since last winter.

On start up when it gets below say 8 deg C or say 45 F it fires up then goes into the chugging mode like its loading up on fuel, sometimes it does this up and down until it warms up, sometimes it stalls, it was throwing the po174/po171 codes, but not always and not so far this year.

No symptoms at all if its warm out or if I leave the block heater plugged in and the engine is already warm.

Soooo... things Ive done

This is a 01 job1, so no cracked elbow....right?

replaced IAC

Cleaned MAF

Things I think it might be.

Intake gasket ??

O2 sensors ??

Some other vacuum leak??

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Todd

01 , job1, 258,000 km.s

Lower intake gaskets..

Change the chain tensioners while in there and the coolant sensors and t stat

Todd Z

Without a doubt. It is the intake manifold gasket. Not really hard to change. If you lived closer to me, I would help you do it.

Tom

Thanks guys, helps confirm my suspicions. I can change the intake gaskets myself no problems, the T-stat I did couple years ago as well.

I do have the regular timing chain rattle, had it for years so Im used to it, but Id be interested in doing the tensioners while Im in there, any projects on this I can check out??. I have the big ford service manual so I can check it out as well, but Im used to working on push rod engines.

Thanks, Todd

I do have the regular timing chain rattle, had it for years so Im used to it, but Id be interested in doing the tensioners while Im in there, any projects on this I can check out??.

You need to find a copy of the TSB that covers the Extended warranty on it IIRC, it will have the instructions needed to work the job. The dealer sells a kit that includes the gaskets, tensioner, oil restrictor tube, and plug.

Tom

Does anyone here have access to the TSB's it would be nice to have that as I will probably want to do the repair this winter. From what I have read the tensioner repair doesn't really stop the timing chain rattle, is that correct? Also, Cayman do you have a ballpark figure about how much is that kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone here have access to the TSB's it would be nice to have that as I will probably want to do the repair this winter.

I got it online, but it was when the NHTSA's website was good and easy to navigate.

From what I have read the tensioner repair doesn't really stop the timing chain rattle, is that correct?

The timing chain rattle was only during start-up. That was the reason for the new tensioner. There was also a oil restrictor tube.

Also, Cayman do you have a ballpark figure about how much is that kit?

I think it was between 40 and 50 bucks. This is USD.

Tom

Latest posts