Time to Tow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sed Thompson

Reaction score
Has anyone towed with a car dollie (front wheels lifted)? Did you get alot of fishtailing and bottoming out on the towed vehicle? I also heard any backing up is almost imposible. Any words of wisdom welcomed, just prepping for my new move. Thanks in advance.:)

I towed one behind my SY, however I would not use it as a gauge for normal towing--it was a 1972 VW Super Beetle that I have been working on since I was 15. Presently, and when I towed it on the dolly it has no interior, motor, glass or fenders on it. Backing up would be impossible because of the different hinge points. Without the car on there it is possible to back up, but I'm pretty sure you need to leave the steering unlocked so that it will track better. Keep in mind as well that the trailer is considerably wider than the ST. I nearly ran into some problems (literaly!) towng down a narrow 2 lane road. With oncoming traffic I would need to drop the pass. side tires on the dolly into the shoulder to keep it out of the side of oncoming traffic. Unloaded the dolly was terrible to tow. Any little bump and it would bounce all over the road....

I towed a '79 Datsun PU truck about 20 miles, mostly freeway.

Fishtailing is not a real problem, a steady hand works well. Bottoming would depend on the towed vehicles rear overhang, shocks, but not necessarily an issue. Reversing is the challenge. Plan ahead, and avoid putting yourself in that situation.

Be sure the tie-down straps stay tight, check and recheck them during the trip.

And as A1cntrler mentioned, pay attention to the extra width of the dolly.

Good Luck :cool:

Dad has a 2006 Mastertow 80THDEB tow dolly. Pulls fine.

What vehicle are you wanting to tow?

Tom

Simple. I can forsee only one hurdle. Where do you plan on getting a Tow Dolly to use?

Tom

Caymen,

No brakes, but does have lights. A simple 2 wheel lift dolly. I was going to go for the full trailer, but costs changed my mind.:)

A full trailer is nice to have, but costs are a factor. I have a 16' flatbed trailer. I have used it more then I ever thought I would.

Tow dollies are nice if all you do is haul a car now and then.

Tom

A couple of years ago, one of my wife's friends broke down in South Carolina (we live in Georgia). I rented a dolly from an unnamed place that would not longer rent to me (;)) and pulled her vehicle (something small like a toyota or something) from there back home with the Explorer I owned at the time. Pulled fine, no problems at all. I didn't have to back it up at all, but I could see how that might be a problem if you're not used to backing trailers.

Indeed, no quicker way to get frustrated and dent fenders then to try to back up a car dolly. My dad and I tried just that a few weeks ago...luckily it was with a "junker" truck, but the truck still didn't end up where we wanted.

I know I did. In the first week I had it I scraped out $3000.00 worth of steel. Paid for the trailer AND had extra money in my pocket.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Tom