Timing Chain, Please Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Grant

Reaction score
Hello All

I have been reading as many posts as I can about this timing belt issue, but I am still un clear. At exactly 2500 rpm i here a sound behind the dash like Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. As soon as the rpm go below 2500 the sound disappears. Is this the timing chain issue. I have never heard any one explain the sound. I wish somebody that knew the sound could drive my trac. I am close to 70000 miles and I hear that the warranty on this tsb was extended to 70000. Thanks for all your help. Sure do love my trac!!!

A Shhhhhhh noise wouldn't be a timing chain, a timing chain noise is more like a metalic rattling noise. I have a noise like that behind the drivers side of my dash...sounds like a vacuum leak but it is there intermittantly and I can't seem to pinpoint the cause.

If you can imagine a bicycle chain rattling on a chain gaurd, that is kinda what (at least my) timing chain rattle sounds like. Starts at about 2600RPM, stops at about 3000RPM. Only when it is cold. But I am over 80K. I thought the TSB was pushed to 80K, but I could be wrong. Someone clarify?

I have about 61k on my ST and they just replaced the :Timing Chaining Tensionor kit and rails.. known problem in the 2002.. not sure but that is what mine sounded like..

Jimmyf

PS - not cover under the extended i bought.. 1500 job.. thank you Ford ESP

I don't think I use the cruise control at that high of rpm. That would be over 70 right. This summer in montana I was up over 70 using the gas pedal and I her this shhhhh sound. I know what valve chatter sounds like and it isn't that. It happens between 2500 and 3000 no other time.

Ryan,

you may have the ECM issue. It buzz's on acceleration and under a load, (engine load).

Here are some details on it. (This is a TSB Issue).

Ford TSB Number is 01-4-10, 01-4-10. Buzz coming from center or right side of instrument panel at idle or low speeds. Under acceleration or heavy load.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a TSB, forgot what number. Anyway, my ST had the same problem. At 66,000 miles the timing chain broke and destroyed my engine. Spend the money now to replace it!!!!!

Oh forgot... the dealer told me the warrantly wasn't extended on the 2002... See my other posts. Ford wouldn't stand by their product once the chain broke. Here I come Nissan or Toyota....

I did some testing on the way home. The sound does not occur when the vehicle is in park or neutral only while driving. It sounds sort of like running water behind the dash. I also did hear some valve chatter on the way home today. What could that be??????? If this is the timing chain tsb will it be covered by ford. I have 64000 miles

Yes, the timing chain TSB is efective to 70 or 80K miles.........

Get in and get it looked at. Valve chatter + timing chain noise = catastrophic engine failure if left unchecked.

At least let a dealer identify the issue. If it is the chain, they should take care of it at 64K.