Timing Chain Tensioner's replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMJC2011

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
...2001 4.0L
Watched several video's of priming new ones before installing, and how to install. Saw a posting, in another group, saying something about having the engine set to TDC before installing. Can't find it for another review. However nothing I've seen, or read, says anything about that. And can't see how that would be a requirement. Anyone have any info on this?

All the ones I've changed I've just lightly primed and installed with new washers. Never set to TDC.

...2001 4.0L
Watched several video's of priming new ones before installing, and how to install. Saw a posting, in another group, saying something about having the engine set to TDC before installing. Can't find it for another review. However nothing I've seen, or read, says anything about that. And can't see how that would be a requirement. Anyone have any info on this?
The best guidance I have seen on the 4.0 timing set replacement is a 4 part series that can be found here:

...2001 4.0L
For just replacing tensioners, it doesn't hurt to soak them in oil overnight and cycle them manually a few times while submerged in oil. You don't have to worry about the timing position being set to top dead center

I thought I saw somewhere in this forum, that the engine had to be pulled to replace the rear one. Is that true?
Not the tensioner. It's down on the back side of the engine. You only need to pull the engine if you are doing a full timing replacement

Not the tensioner. It's down on the back side of the engine. You only need to pull the engine if you are doing a full timing replacement
THIS !

Yes, the rear hydraulic tensioner is located on the right side of the engine block, toward the rear. It puts pressure on the plastic chain tensioner, that rides on the timing chain. Some people can get to it from the top of the engine, but I had better luck by removing the right front wheel/tire, and then pull off the splash guard to get to it. I used a 6 point socket, and a bunch of extensions to clear the wheel well. I also used a breaker bar, as they seem to take a lot of torque to get them out.

Of the two hydraulic tensioners, this is the easier one to replace. The other one is hidden by the thermostat housing and intake manifold.

Latest posts