Tin can noise!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
Yo! When I start up my ST, I hear a rattling noise like a aluminum or something from under my truck. I think it's the heatshield on the exhaust. Any other suggestions, and fix method please....

Sounds correct....

Take 2 long hose clamps put them together and clamp it back on tight...

I don't recommend ripping it off...

Todd Z

top and bottom of every catalytic converter, SO you technically may have eight shields...

Todd Z

yes, but only 1 of them may be making noise...... And i don't know what size clamps you need. depending what you have yo may need 4 clamps, OR 1 long one..

Todd Z

Might be catalytic converter innards loose and shaking around. I had a Daytona that had this problem--I had to change out the converter because the noise drove me nuts.

I got this same noise, but I get the tin can noise when I am driving... I did a walk around banged on the muffler, and I don't hear anything that sounds like that. I only hear it when driving.. Any ideas?

Gavin, that is possible,.....

Kirk, when the truck is cold, lay under the passenger side front door and take your fist or a rubber mallet and tap the exhaust or cats with it listening for the noise....

Todd Z

Does it matter if the outdoor temp is over 110? :) i live in Phoenix... Anyway its exactly a tin can sound, but I hear it when I am driving especially when I go over a bridge and the sound reflects off the walls.. But it is noticablely a tin can sound, I took a screw driver and stuck it in the muffler to shake it and still nothing.. I will try banging on the exhaust or cats.... The sound even almost sounds like a little bell is ringing under the truck, I was thinking it might be bearings but I am not sure if bearings make those noises?

Kirk

Could be a broken sway bar link, or something else....

Take a look around. IT even could be the engine pinging or the timing chain rattle...

Todd Z

Are there any other symptoms to a timing chain going out? I would hate for that to happen.... I am heading to the hills in a couple weeks....

Kirk

They dont, IT is a chain, Not a belt....

Certain years had issues, Some just get noise from them...

Todd Z

Todd,

I was out there a while ago, and listened real close when i am at a stop and give it a little gas I can hear it, not as loud as when I am going 60 but i can hear it.. Sounds like in the exhaust system somewhere.

Kirk

Latest posts