Tips and tricks to fix the scratches on center council

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Couture

Reaction score
If you ever had the problem of scratces from just every day use on your door hands inside and the center council. This is the answer. Use a cotton ball with some nail polish remover and it will even out the scratches and discoloration. Try it. :cool:

Or you could spray it with brake cleaner it will strip off the paint, then spray paint it whatever color you like.

You may want to remove it from the Trac first though.

Nobleman, what kind of paint did you use? I was looking at mine when I had it out to install XM and it is pretty bad shape, along with the drivers door pull.

thanks, GP

Haven't painted yet, I got some brake cleaner on it by accident so I know that part works. I'll probably use something less caustic and hazerdous when I do it for real.

I picked up some cans of krylon fusion for plastic paint in hammered metal silver and black. I can't decide, the cap samples both look really good in the Trac. I want the silver for the factory look, but the black is like a nice dark graphite that I think would look awesome.

Others here have used plastic primer / adhesion promoter and then painted the bezel / console / handles to match the exterior paint, or just about any color you could imagine. There are some really nice examples on this site.

The easy way is to just use a cooton ball with the nail polish remover and it will look great with out removing the whole center council.

Latest posts