Tire Chains

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Szymanski

Reaction score
I'm going on a short trip up north, where tire chains may be mandatory. Just wondering how many sets, (1 or 2) would some of you recomend, I should purchase for a 4X4?

I taking a guess here myself, because I have never had on my ST. I would say if you are using 4-wheel drive you would want chains on all 4 wheels. I have not needed them, since we seem to get only snow and then not much any more. I think on ice chains on all 4 wheels would help you take off and stop better than just on the rear wheels. There are people on here that know better than me and hopefully one or more can better tell you. Good luck and have fun up there, but not too much fun. :lol:

There are several tires that I believe will be accepted by states in lieu of chains. I believe Bridgestone Blizaaks and Micheline Artic Alpine are two.

Yeah, when you say "mandatory," do you mean some regulatory agency requires them, or that they'll be absolutely necessary for your travel to be successful?

Mandatory chain laws mean that unless you have chains on, you don't go any farther. Siping is great for wet weather, but not sure how good it is for deep snow or ice...

Some will say that chaining the fronts are better on a 4x4 because it would just pull you through something, and that's correct as long as you are always going uphill! ;) Going downhill, if the rear end breaks loose, you have to accelerate to pull out. So if I'm only chaining 2, I do the rears. I have chained all 4 too. Never had any chains on the ST though. Seems like there would be plenty of room, but you might check the manual to be sure.

I was required to chain up in Wyoming about 15 years ago, even though I had a 4x4 F150. At that time, they only required one axle to be chained. Where I chained all 4 was for work in Southern Oregon about 30 years ago. Some of those logging roads were not in good shape! I know that some people, with the right tires, would not need to chain up in deep snow, but not much will work with ice except chains(or studded snow tires...do they make those any more???).

Yes, Chris, they do. Unfortunately, they destroy the roads as well, so most states have outlawed them for all but emergency vehicles, or made them only legal between certain seasonal dates.

Here in Northern Kollyfornya, They have 'Mandatory' chain laws when it snows on the mountain passes This means that if you have a 2wd vehicle WITHOUT mud & snow tires, you need tire chains. Mud & snow tires will get you through. This is considered "R1", and is the most common restriction. "R2" means ALL 2wd vehicles, M&S tires or not, need chains, and 4wd with M&S tires are OK. In 30 years of living here, I've only seen an "R3", or only 4wd with chains allowed, restriction happen once, and that was several years ago. As SST said above, Caltrans closes the road first. As for studded snow tires, they are allowed from Oct, 31st to May 1st, and yes, they do tear up the road something fierce...

AS for chaining up the ST, the owner's manual sez "No chains"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts