Tire Cupping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Walker

Reaction score
I've read a lot of comments from people on this site about tire cupping issues. I guess I thought the problem was resolved with the Service Bulletin in 2004. I've got a 2005, and I have 30,000 miles on the tires. I've been experiencing tire cupping, and have had them rotated, which made little difference. The noise is annoying. I spoke to Ford when I had the truck in for the 30,000 mile check up and they looked at me like I was crazy saying they had never heard of a tire cupping issue. I'm at the point now where I'm trying to decide if I want to buy new tires and see if it fixes the problem. I don't want to have this problem continue with a new set of tires, and I'd like to know what I can expect down the road as far as replacement components other than tires to resolve this issue. If it is going to be more than I want to deal with, then I'll just make a change in vehicles. Thanks for your input.

Get a good set of replacement shocks,

Have the front end checked and aligned properly and replace the tires.... You don't have to replace all 4 you can just do 2 depending on how cupped and worn the other 2 are.....

Just stay away from the tires that came on the truck....

Todd Z

New tires did not do it for me. I replaced the RT/S's with Fortera SA's and they too have begun to feather on both inner and outer tracks. I recently had them rotated and realigned by Ford. I also have aftermarket shocks already.

EDIT: I must clarify that only the front tires are affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about this problem when I first got my '05 ST. A post a while ago stated that the shocks were the very minimum load range for this type of vehicle. I've got 20K on my ST and I rotate the tires every 5K miles. Within the first 500 miles I replaced the shocks with Monroes. While it cost a bit of money, I have no unusual wear on the tires just checked again yesterday> I also had my local tire man look at them and he found no problems. Before you buy any new tires, replace the shocks. There is a project on this site how to do it (and it is worth looking at for the driver reat tire). Good luck.

I had the same problem on my 05, the tires we destroyed by 13k miles, even with rotation at 6k. Ended up printing off the TSB and tating the truck back to Ford. At 2 years and 13k miles the best they would do is pay 50% of the cost of new tires and the alignment. I have since replaced the stock shocks with Monroe Reflex and the problem seems to be solved.

Now if I could just keep the CEL from coming on every other week life would be good.

dptak...... do u have the part numbers for those Monroe Reflex? goin shoppin this week for shocks... thanks in advance

Let's see if this works. Same shocks for the 04 as the 05 2wd

911177 front

911035 rear

Got mine on line thru Rock Auto.

Monroe E-Catalog

Light Trucks - Ride Control Section

FORD TRUCK

2004 - Explorer Sport Trac - 2 W.D.

2001 - 2004 Sport Utility

Need help deciding which of Monroe's product lines is right for the way you use your vehicle?

Highlighted part numbers indicate premium products.

37177 SENSA-TRAC® TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS 37177

911177 REFLEXâ„¢ TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS 911177

32346 MONRO-MATIC PLUS® SHOCK 32346

37035 SENSA-TRAC® TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS 37035

For Towing and Hauling

f:p 58617 SENSA-TRAC® LOAD ADJUSTING SHOCK ABSORBERS 58617 f:p

911035 REFLEXâ„¢ TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS 911035

32253 MONRO-MATIC PLUS® SHOCK 32253

For Towing and Hauling

f:K MA776 MAX-AIR® SHOCKS MA776 f:K

f:p This part number is pair packed/priced.

f:K This part number is pair packed/priced and includes air line installation kit (AK-18) when required

Monroe product information

Need Brakes? See our Monroe Premium Brake Catalog

Latest posts