Tire Inflation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Putz

Reaction score
Just got the oil changed recently on the '07 trac. Part of the normal service is a tire pressure check. On the copy of the paperwork for the oil change it stated the tires were inflated to 40 psi per factory recomendation. The sticker on the door of the trac says 35 psi and the max pressure stamped on the tire is 44 psi. Tires are Goodyear Fortera Hl P245/65R17. I'm assuming that 35 psi is a minimum recommended by Ford and 44 the max. set by Goodyear. Just curious what psi I should actually keep my tires at, thanks for the help.

Technicaly, You should run what the door or glove box sticker says. Personally I always go w/ the tire manufacturers recamendation for alittle better handling.

Also a reminder to everyone to check your tire pressures because of the season change.......as we approach the winter and ambient temperatures drop, so will your tire pressure. Air pressure drop as temperature drops and vice versa. If you have not checked your tire pressure within the last 30 days or so, more than likely you will find that they are lower than you might have thought.:eek:

When I filled up my 2007 for the first time, I checked the tire pressure. It was set at 40 psi in each tire. The door sticker states 32 psi except for 35 psi for the spare. I only had to drive less than 1 mile to the gas station, so the tires heating up did not cause this. When I questioned the dealer, they told me that 40 psi is what the factory puts in, so that is what they leave it at. I asked what the proper psi was, and they told me, to just check the door sticker. They would not give me an actual answer, just check the door sticker.

The door sticker is the last word in inflation pressure, for the tires that the truck came with. The value on the sticker is what Ford, through lots of testing, has determined is the proper all around inflation pressure. If you go to another manufacturer, or go up a size, or vary the load on the tires, then you must adjust. To properly do that, you have to weigh the truck to get a weight on each tire, then go to the mfg's data sheet and see what they reccomend for that tire, on that rim, at the weight you are running.... Gets kinda complicated....

I just got back from the dealership this morning too. They set my tires to 32 psi both front and back and stated that that was "per factory recommendation."

Just put new BFG's on my Trac and they filled them with Nitrogen. They told me the manufacturer said to have 30 in front and 30 in the back. Sounds low to me. What do you think? My what a difference a tire (or 4) makes!!!!!!!!