Tire question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICK SAULNIER

Reaction score
I have a question about my 2008 Limited 24,500 miles.

My front drivers side tire is wearing down on the outside edge, the edge is practically smooth. The truck steering wgeel is straight and truck doesnt pull when driving, on highway it will slowly veer to the left.

I checked the tire pressure and it was down to 20 lbs. So I'm guessing thats the cause of the wearing???

Second question... shouldn't the sensor have gone off letting me know the tire was low???

Ford dealer says I should move this tire to the back. (rotate). But I'm thinking I should get another tire, but he said I shouldnt just buy one, should at least do both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rick, i was always taught to replace 2 tires if one was needed. Put the new ones on the front and the best two tires on the back. Alway keep tires inflated near the maximum, the stock tires on my '08 were kept at 44psi front and about 40psi in the back. Makes for a little bumpier ride but worth it it handling and fuel economy. ALWAYS check tire pressures ONCE per week and the tires will last a lot longer(except the Michelin cross terrains, they last about 25K and they are done) As far as the TPMS sensors, I'm not really sure, but I think they go off at somewhere under 20psi. Good luck, Bob :unsure:

If all the other tires are still good and can last thru the winter or better then just take and swap the spare tire with the right rear (main drive tire) and swap the RR with the drivers front. Why waste a tire if it's only wearing on the outer edge. Just my thoughts. :banana:;)

Jerry, if his limited has 18" wheels. The spare is a 17" on a steel rim.

If the side edge is smooth. It wont be long before the belts are showing. If 20 psi is part of the wear, it would have worn down both outer edges. I would think the tps would be calibrated for only 3 to 4 psi less than recomendation,JMO. Any info in the owners manuall? Alignment is off even if it slightly drifts, on level road at correct pressure.

Sorry wasn't aware the spare was a different rim size, that sucks:wacko::unsure:. looks like two new tires might be needed then, but keep the old tires for spare tires just incase in the future and try to find another 18" rim for spare if it'll fit under the bed.:)

Thanks for the input. It is an 18" by the way.

I was hoping someone would say..." Oh yeah, thats a defect with the pressure sensor and Ford will take care of it". Thats what I was hoping!

And just an fyi on pricing per tire in Massachusetts...

Michelin Cross Terrains

Hogan tire - $250.

Costco - 235.

Nashua Wholesale (NH, no tax) - 218.

Town Fair Tire - 208.

FORD - approx. 350. per tire but that includes everything. And so do the prices above.

Just because it doesn't pull doesn't mean the alignment is okay. Some maladjustments can cancel each other out as far as that goes but the tires will still wear unevenly.

I don't trust tire pressure monitors. I check mine every week.

Make sure to Rotate every 5k miles and alignment every 10-15k.. Firestone sales lifetime alignments..Not a bad idea to get!!

If anyone is around the KC area..I work for Firestone and can get you some deals on tires, and lifetime alignments...

Jeremiah

The dealer suggested I put the worn tires on the rear (middle of tire is fine) for like 5-10k miles then replace all 4. and get alignment.

Does that make sense????

And I will start keeping a closer eye on them!

Thanks for the info!!!!!

I advise rotating the tires right now and getting an alignment right now. Then see how they wear. You might need new tires soon and you might not.

40 and 44 psi.. Recommended is 32 for the stock Michelins on the 2008 limited. Why should you have to pump up the tires to compensate. Wouldn't that mean there is an issue elsewhere with the front end?

Mike