Tire thoughts....I picked 3, Input please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Ok so after much searching and looking I found the tire sizes i want are discontinued or are OLD stock...

So i am sticking with the OEM 255/70/16

I picked 3 tires..... Listed from Cheapest to most expensive from my guy here... Is is about $10.00 cheaper a tire then i could find on line, PLUS he gets them fresh, Not old tires laying around !!

Yokohama ATS Geolander ($92.00 ea)

Bridgestone Revo ($132 Ea)

Michelin M/S 2 ($148 Ea)

Whatcha think ????

Todd Z

Michelin M/S 2 ($148 Ea)

If you mean the Michelin LTX M/S 2, that's my recommendation. I have the regular LTX M/S on my Trac. They're great tires. Great traction in all conditions, and not very noisy. They ride great too. I've had them on the Trac for probably about 25-30K miles so far, and they're barely showing any signs of wear.

Yeah, they're the most expensive of your choices, but sometimes you do indeed get what you pay for. They're well worth it, in my opinion!:supercool:

Todd,

If you pick one more, you can buy one of each, and test drive them all. Then you can tell us which one was the best and which was the worst. That way, we will know what to buy and what not to buy.:supercool:

...Rich

Michelin would be my choice too. I've gotten over 75K on my last two sets of Michelins and only changed them then because I was starting to get dry rot, still had plenty of tread.:supercool:

BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

Made in the same factory as the Michelin, made by the same people, uses the same core as the Michelin tires, a fraction of the cost.

Replaced mine after 5 years and 54,000 miles of hard driving.

We have the same tires on my wife's Explorer with 60,000 miles on them (not driven as hard as mine is) and still plenty of tread.

Tom

I picked the 3 above from there ratings, Speed and Others......

The BFG is a good tire, BUT prone to dry rotting and cracking since I don't drive my St much, Georges are all shot and still have over 6/32 tread !!!

I had Michelin's dry rot and crack LTX on other cars.....

The 03 sits a lot, So i don't drive it much in bad weather.. and Honestly i don't want to spend a lot of money either and get a good tire !!!!

Thanks guys..

any one else ??

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Ed.......

Naw Once I get a new set, i will stop the burning junk..... I may keep 2 good years and get a set of rims for that !!!

Just growing up ya know..... the snow here and driving the truck around, the tores are shot...

I have to do something..

Todd Z

I know that, Thats why I am not leaning towards them .... also the $$.......

I normally don't compare things like this and just go with what i know or like, Like the 04 got the Revos......

But the $$ and speed rating is leaning me towards the yoks....

Todd Z

The Revo's will cost you $160 more than the Geolander's. If it's a toss-up on the tire, then go with the cheaper ones.

I just bought 4 new tires back in November for my '07 V6 2WD ST. Tire Kingdom was offering a great deal back then. Anyway, I was originally going to get the Geolanders, but they were out. After having my vehicle all day, they tracked down some BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's. Because of my inconvenience, I got 4 tires, all the warranty stuff, front end alignment, and a coupon book with free oil changes and stuff (already took advantage of with our van!), all for around $550! I thought it was a great deal?

I have really, really liked the tires. A big improvement over the stock Fortera's. I've made one long trip (6 hrs one way) and I commute 23 miles to work and haven't had a problem.

Thanks all....

I got the 265 16's...... Yok's.......

Pick them up tomorrow and will get installed on the weekend !!

Thanks !!

Todd Z

Revos are a Consumer best buy tire. Hands down the Revo's..Look into Revo 2's. these tires are going to be the Quietest AT tire around!! Im in the Tire industry and Revos are a badass tire!:throwup:

Of the three you have listed, the money difference is not far enough apart to be the swaying decision.

That said, that is the Michelin tire I put on my Lexus. I paid extra for life time coverage no matter the reason they fail. Total I paid $800.00.

The tires are GREAT in the snow and are a very nice ride on quite roads.

I would buy them again in a heart beat..

Go with the Michelin LTX M/S tires. I'm on my 2nd set. Very quiet, smooth ride, great at high speed well past the legal speed limit, long life, very good traction wet or dry. If you like a real stiff sidewall then Michelin is not the tire for you, but they do take turns very well. My trac takes turns better the most cars that I drive to work around and interstate 83 has alot of turns near Baltimore.

b9c8cc1eb7bf3bca5ec669ec534c77cb.gif

Michelin M/S 2 ($148 Ea)

Todd I bought my Trac last march, I replaced the perfectly good Goodyears in June with Michelin LTX M/S 2

EXCELLENT tires. In rain they stick like glue, In snow they grip real nice. Best of all, on dry pavement, they are quiet

Definitely worth the extra few dollars!

[Broken External Image]:

"Perfectly good Goodyears". Best oxymoron for tires, yet. LOL

Haven't heard one regarding the Firestone ATX fiasco, in 2000.

Sadly, no humor, when safety and lives are involved.

Any feedback on the Michelin "Latitude Tour" model? Snow or off road

conditions will never happen for my '05 XLS RWD. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: