Tires gone at 12,600 miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug S

Reaction score
I have an '08 Limited, and my factory Michelin tires are worn out already. Michelin is covering 80% to replace them, (with the same tire of course), but I have never had a tire wear out this fast. Anyone else have a problem with their tires wearing out at such low mileage? Hopefully the new set will last longer.

Search the discussions- many of us have had very short life from the factory Michelins (but have not had this experience with the retail Michelins of the same model). I think Michelin unloaded a bunch of off-spec material onto Ford.

Mine wore out by 22,000 miles on my '07. I could get no help from the dealer or Michelin, even though the wear was all very even due to regular rotation, proper tire pressure, and even a wheel alignment I paid out of pocket for to fix the factory pulling.

I'm glad Michelin is doing the right thing and helping you out.

Had to be OEM Michelin's. Not unusual for some ST members pushing 80K on AFTERMARKET Michelin LTX M/S models or similar.

Under 13K? Unheard of, regardless of brand, unless you are a NASCAR driver or have severely neglected them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does someone wear out a set of tires in 12,600 miles and not notice anything unusual during routine mainenance. That sounds like someone who is not checking tire pressures, not rotating their tires, or just ignoring all the symptoms until the problem has gone on way too long.

Had the problem been noticed much earlier, Ford would have probably replaced the tires under warranty and even fixed whatever was causing the rapid wear. However, if the wear was due to improper inflation pressures, not rotating the tires, or just plain abuse, then that would not be their problem.

Since Michelin is taking care of 80% of the cost of replacements, perhaps the tires were defective, but it is very odd that all 4 tires were defective, and they were all mounted on one vehicle??? Then again, Michelin is still probably making money on the new tires even with a 80% discount by simply using an inflated price....That's why most tire warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

...Rich

Tires were rotated at ~6,000 and again at ~12,000 miles by a Ford dealer, the Ford dealer also did all my oil changes every 3,000 miles (which is supposed to include checking tire pressure). I also periodically check the pressure myself and adjust as necessary.

Dealer said nothing about excessive wear at 6,000 miles, but at 12,000 they did. All 4 tires were down to the same depth, and worn evenly, that is why Michelin is covering part of it. The dealer said that Ford would not replace them and that I had to go to an independent authorized Michelin dealer for the warranty.

The problem was not caused by improper inflation, abuse or not rotating them. Hopefully, they were just part of a bad batch, as I have never had to replace tires this soon before.

You're tires should be warranted up to 1 year or 12K miles. At least that was the deal with my '03 ST. My tires were cupped. I brought it up to them at 4500 mi. and they just rotated the tires and said they "fixed" it. Again at 12,500 mi. the tires cupped again, and I was told they would do nothing because I was out of warranty for the tires.

I believe that is why Michelin is only covering 80%, because it is over 1 year and 12,000 miles, after that they prorate depending on time and mileage.

I and almost every one of our customers who bought a 2007 or newer Sport Trac have had this problem. I did on my 2007 Limited and then again on my 2008 Adrenalin. I replaced them with Yokohama Parada Spec-X and had no problems and it even made the ride of the vehicle 100 times better.

Tire Rack has them and both their customer and the site's reviews rank it as the best tire in its segment.

I have three other freinds with Sport Tracs that changed to the Yokohama Parada Spec-X and said they will never own another tire.

PS... We tried a new set of the Michelin's first, as that is the only way Michelin would cover part of the cost and they lasted no better. I will never own a set of the Michelin LTXs on any vehicle again for any reason.

My Sport Trac is leased, so unless I buy this out when it is done (June/2010), I am not too woried about getting different tires as long as Michelin will pay the 80% right now. If I do buy this vehicle at lease end, the next time I need tires I will definately look around.

Doug S.

My point was that you cannot rely on Ford or any service department to find defects or problems when they are doing your routine maintenance checks, especially while the vehicle is under warranty. It's only after the warranty has expired that they become more dilligent at finding things that they can charge you for.